95 Integra right half shaft replacement

I'd like to replace the right shaft on our 95 Integra Automatic - it started ticking when you turn a corner so clearly the CV joints are bad. I'll do the left one as well, but may wait a couple of weeks do do
that.
The repair manual states to drain the transmission fluid - why is this necessary? Doesn't the half shaft connect to the intermediate shaft? Don't quite understand why that step would be needed.
Any other tips, gotchas?
Thanks! Remco
Remco wrote:

one side, the tilt is sufficient that oil doesn't run out. but keep a pan there just in case!