95 Prelude pops out of 3rd gear??

Hi, I sure could use some ideas....
Just replaced the engine in a 95 Prelude which wasn't running before I picked it up, so I have no idea whether this problem is new or existed
before.
I will say I had to adjust the clutch pedal so that the clutch wasn't right at the bottom of the pedal. All other gears appear to be fine, and it goes into gear OK, but pops right back out. If I try to hold the stick in 3rd gear and release the clutch, it will grind.
Any ideas?

had similar problems on two cars; a mazda, where the problem was simply a detent arrangement that had screwd up, and a civic where the gears on the countershaft had managed to move away from where they were supposed to be so that the synchro wouldn't engage right.
nevertheless, both problems cost a bundle since they both had to get the trans out and disassembled to find the silly things.