96 Accord 2.2 Cruise Ctrl problem

For about a year, my cruise control would work only once for each time I started my car. After that one shot, if I tried to use it again, it would try for a second and then then turn itself off. Now it has
gotten worse and I can rarely get it to latch.
Even when it was working, I noticed a somewhat slow response. Especially on hills. Going up a hill, it would slow down by 5mph and after cresting the hill, it would speed up to 5mph over then slowly return to the set speed.
Hopefully these 2 are related and all I have to do is take something apart and clean it. I've never worked on a cruise control system before and unfortunately, my Chiltens manual doesn't even show the location of the device on the engine compartment.
I forgot to mention that if I push set and then hold accel the car will always (try) to excel for as long as I hold it but then when I let off the accel button, the system usually shuts off after about a second.
joe wrote:

electrical contactor issue. cruise fails "off", and there are several "off" actuators. check, clean and reconnect with silicone [electrical high dielectric] grease.

variation, degree of variation, reaction time, overshoot, etc. is all about control theory. degrees required if you want to get into that stuff seriously.

that's C-H-I-L-T-O-N. and it's A-C-C-E-L in your subsequent post.

that's because chilton manuals are garbage. buy the honda manual at helm.com. it'll give you a full trouble shooting flow diagram for the cruise.

as would be accurate spelling and coherent questions - you may even get helpful responses if you pay attention to little details like that.

Wow. You are S-M-A-R-T.
Thanks for the advice. helm.com is all you needed to say. thx