96 Accord P0141

P0141 Secondary Heated Oxygen Senser ckt malfunction..DTC won't reset. 4 cylinder engine. Anybody have any ideas?

Is it the sensor heater itself, Is there a problem with these? I will get in to it on Sat. Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

On 8/17/2006 6:06 AM Andy & Carol spake these words of knowledge:

I replaced one on my 2003 4-cyl Accord because of the same code, but I suppose things have changed quite a bit in 7 model years.

On my car, it wasn't too bad, although I had to remove the right front seat, per my Helms manual. It should be easier on yours, I would think.

Use an OEM part rather than aftermarket.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Other than the sensor, a large exhaust leak can cause the code. Most muffler shops will do a free inspection in hopes of getting business if something turns up; might be worth a visit. Otherwise you are probably stuck with sensor replacement.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

In many places in the USA you are covered by a mandatory emissions warranty up to 8 years and 80,000 miles on emissions components. Many people are not aware of this and pay out of pocket for covered items.

Check this:

John

Reply to
John Horner

The heater is integrated into the Ox sensor. It is a common failure on a ten year old vehicle and shouldn't be a big deal to change as long as you have access to it. I first remove the wiring to it and then use a box end wrench to turn the sensor. I don't recall the size, but it might be an SAE size rather than metric. Don't use an open end or other wrench as that sucker might be corroded into place.

The secondary sensor is the one after the catalytic converter. There are two, one before and one after. The one before the converter is the actual feedback device for engine mixture adjustment. The one after the converter is part of the car's self-monitoring emissions control system.

Also, do not mess with a universal replacement sensor featuring wire splices. I've had bad luck with those. The secondary sensor is the one after the catalytic converter. There are two, one before and one after. The one before the converter is the actual feedback device for engine mixture adjustment. The one after the converter is part of the car's self-monitoring emissions control system.

You can get a Denso sensor for around $70 from rockauto.com. I buy many of my parts there. You can also get a 5% discount from them through

8/22 by entering the discount code 44696037569. On Japanese cars I generally use Densos and on European cars the Bosch sensors. Generally there is no need to get a dealer part. However, do stay away from the "universal" sensors.

Best of luck, John

Reply to
John Horner

Thank you, John, for the info, but I have 165,000 miles on the Accord, and I must admit, enjoyable and trouble free! I cant ask for much more! Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Since it's the HEATER part of the circuit, put your ohmmeter across the two wires that are the same color. If it's OPEN, the sensor has to be changed. If it's not open, the connections or the computer (which supplies the current) could be at fault. Sensor probably just needs to be replaced.

Read the 'NTK O2 Sensors Tech' part of this page to learn more about O2 sensors.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'