96 Accord rear main seal leaking

96 Accord 4 cyl auto trans w/135k miles. Leaks 1 qt of 10w-30 out every 800-1000 miles. Verified leak by cleaning block,new oil change and using engine oil dye.All dry except for between engine and transmission-deduced to
main seal.So any ideas on how long it will take the backyard mechanic and any tips while doing it. Anything else to replace while I'm in there? Thanks Greyhound Tampa, FL
Grey-hound wrote:

sob. it was /running/ out onto the exhaust and clouds of blue smoke would rise when stopped at traffic lights. castrol stopped it leaking almost completely - there's a /little/ seepage visible, but none on the garage floor. good enough to live with.
jim beam wrote:

    New oil pan gasket fixed the leak in the same place on my '92 Accord. bob

Greyhound
Grey-hound wrote:

Did you use any ultra gray sealant with the oil pan gasket? There are just a few areas that require sealant. There should be a small bit of sealant at each of the corners of the rear part of the gasket where it forms a semicircular bend at the rear of the gasket. There should be a thin spot of sealant on both the bottom and top of the gasket in these two areas. There should also be a thin spot of sealant at each of the areas where there's a seam, e.g., from the oil pump mounting to the block and from the rear main seal carrier mounting to the block. In these latter areas, sealant is just required on the block side not the oil pan side. You can refer to this diagram to get a better idea of what I'm talking about http://tinyurl.com/eom2a .
Eric

correctly. Greyhound

When I got it used w/103K miles on it I used Penzoil 10w-30 and just last week switched over to Castrol 10w-30 (400 mi since then). Guess I could monitor it for a few weeks with that in it. Greyhound
Grey-hound wrote:

up your sleeves. but if the seal's simply shrunk because the oil doesn't have sufficient seal conditioner in it, it's fixable.
Try the Castrol high milage oil. It's impressive. Extra seal conditioners, etc. Good luck.