96 accord shaking and thumping sounds when accelerating

My 96 Accord shakes( like I have a flat tire) and makes a loud thumping sound. It usually starts around 65 mph. and continues even at low speeds. It comes and goes and only does it when I accelerate. I
have taken it into 2 diff. places and no one can figure out what is wrong. Any ideas as to what it could be???
βœ–
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:26:55 +0000, weezel18 wrote:

Can be lots of things... First things to check would be tire wear, wheel balance and alignment.
If all of those are OK, it could be a ball joint, or other suspension item...
Add pictures here
βœ–
I got the tires balanced aligned etc. They said my tires look fine. The other place I took it to said everything looked fine. Could it possibly be the motor mounts? I know those don’t wear out often so it may have been something the mechanics overlooked????
"Joe LaVigne" wrote: > On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:26:55 +0000, weezel18 wrote: > > > My 96 Accord shakes( like I have a flat tire) and makes a > loud > > thumping sound. It usually starts around 65 mph. and > continues even at > > low speeds. It comes and goes and only does it when I > accelerate. I > > have taken it into 2 diff. places and no one can figure out > what is > > wrong. Any ideas as to what it could be??? > > > > Can be lots of things... First things to check would be tire > wear, wheel > balance and alignment. > > If all of those are OK, it could be a ball joint, or other > suspension item...
βœ–
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:25:29 +0000, weezel18 wrote:

I would expect worn motor mounts to cause vibration at idle or lower speed.
Add pictures here
βœ–

after axle replacement. I expect the shops have at least looked at the CV joint boots, but apparently it can happen in spite of the boots being intact.
No easy test I know of, and replacing axles on blind suspicion is fairly drastic.
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–