96 Civic alternator+question

Hi guys and gals here I am again with yet another question regarding my 96 Civic. I will go ahead and repost my prior question and sitrep concerning therof so I may as well go ahead and do it,Here 'tis:

Ok here goes,

'96 civic DX 5 speed,I was driving into work this morning and had the wipers on,headlights and defog.My dash lights started (how do I explain this) acting like they were almost blinking like my emergency lights.Headlights were doing the same thing.It was raining out at the time.I kinda think it's my alternator going up on me or the belts are loose.Any thoughts on this?Oh yeah the speedometer was jumping around like a monkey on crystal meth going from 20 to 100 to 30 to ...you get the picture. Thanks in advance, Will

PS I had a prior question about whether my speed sensor or speedometer was going up on me,it WAS the speed sensor.

OK,I went ahead and pulled the alternator(it was a bitch BTW)went ahead and bought a new one and installed it today.I went to go and start it up,when I turned the key no dome lights no click no nuthin'.I went and got my next door neighbor and see if he would give me a jump start tried that,still nuthin.I checked everything.I mean there's only 2 connections to the alternator and I made sure they were good cuz I hooked them up myself.Am I missing something here? Maybe a wire got broken in the process of me dicking around trying to get the alternator outta the engine crate?I dunnno.Guess I'll go back and trace my steps after work tommorow. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,

Will

Reply to
OICU812

Sounds like it may be ECU related. I think the computer controls the speedometer but run an alternator test on it at any autozone or a mechanic. If the belt is slipping it will make the lights and everything go up and down in power.

-Jeff

Reply to
hondaman

You forgot to disconnect the battery when you took out the alternator? Your 80 Amp main fuse is probably blown. $5 at any autoparts store, its the one that is screwed down in the fuse panel under the hood.

(I did the same thing when I replaced the alternator on my 98 civic)

Either that, or do you have an alarm? My car disables the start until i push unlock on the remote...

disallow

Two connections? Sort of, one fat white wire and one connector with 4 wires, but that is probably what you meant.

It is hard to botch an alternator installation to a point where you can't even jump start the car, so I believe your problem is elsewhere. Someone suggested the 80A fuse in the under-hood fuse box. Also check that the battery ground cable is good and has firm connections both to the battery and to the chassis. Same check on the fat wire between the battery and the under-hood fuse box, is the wire good? firm connections in both ends?

Reply to
Randolph

: : (I did the same thing when I replaced the : alternator on my 98 civic) :

I hate when that happens.

: Either that, or do you have an alarm? My car : disables the start until i push unlock on the : remote...

Nope, no alarm.Haven't needed one around here,yet......

Thanks , Will

Reply to
OICU812

I did my alternator at a buddy's place out in the sticks. We finally finished at about

9:30pm (I did my timing belt that day too).

Go to fire it up, and DEAD. no lights on the dash, NOTHIN. Try finding one of those 80 Amp fuses at 10pm on a Friday night... I actually did, the guy who installed my alarm had about

200 of them from a bulk lot he bought off of ebay, so now I have like 5 of them in my tool box.... lol t
Reply to
disallow

PS, where are you located that you don't need an alarm? I'm in Winnipeg so maybe your close? if your close you can have one of my 80 Amp fuses.... lol

disallow

I'm in Southern Pennsylvania . Hey BTW which fuse is it? There are two of them that are screwed down.I hate to sound like a newbie/dummy.I just don't wanna feel like an even bigger dummy when I go to the auto parts store and have the wrong fuse in my possesion :)

Reply to
OICU812

Read the fuse panel, I am fairly certain there is only 1 80 Amp fuse. I could be wrong though.

You can see if its blown too, just look at the filament under a light.

It should be labelled BATTERY on the diagram of the fuse panel on the outside of the cover.

Reply to
disallow

That's what it was.I disconnected the hot lead from my battery and then the screws out of the old fuse.You could plainly see it was blown.I put a new one in and got in and fired right up.Thanks again for all the help!

Reply to
OICU812