96 Honda EX torn tie rod boot

Is the tie rod "joint" like a CV joint as far as grease packing is concerned? My driver side tie rod boot is torn & I put a "patch" over
it - heavy gauge plastic with cable ties at each end. There didn't seem to be any grease leaking out. I know it doesn't turn like a CV joint boot. What exactly is the boot protecting? As long as my patch stays intact am I running any risks by leaving it alone? I'm already aware that to replace it the tie rod must be disconnected & there will be an alignment needed. Thanks.
KR wrote:

-------------------------
Your parts diagrams at www.slhondaparts.com will probably give you some help (and parts names). If you're talking about the boot on the Rack & Pinion steering, it's full of air, and there's a breather hose that allows air to pass from one side to the other when you turn the steering. It can be changed without messing up the alignment.
What kind of 'Honda' are we talking about?
'Curly'

I'm talking about the tie rod dust seal - on a 96 Accord EX.
KR wrote:

no - it's mostly air inside. there is solid grease, but on the slider - it's not semi-liquid like the driveshaft.

the grease, seal, slider and slider bearing from abrasion when grit contaminates them.

yes - grit will still get in and significantly shorten the life of the steering rack. a reconditioned rack is > $400. a boot is < $10.

Won't an alignment be needed as a result of the boot replacement?
KR wrote:

technically, yes. however, if you're careful and count the number of turns you undo the locknut, and the number of turns to release the track rod joint, you can put it back pretty much as you found it. this way, you'll be ok for a while. if there is uneven tire wear evident, you may have needed an alignment anyway.

A balljoint.

You're running the risk of accelerated wear on the balljoint, since you have no idea how much grit got in there. The potential consequences are loose and imprecise steering, or complete loss of steering ability accompanied by a possible collision.
The joint should be inspected every few months to make sure it's not worn excessively. At this juncture it's best to replace the tie rod end.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ