96 Passport V6 won't start

I thought it was the starter so I changed it out. Battery is full. When the key is turned, The inside relay clicks, I've changed out the relay in
the engine compartment. I've checked the fuse in the fuse panel. It's almost like the power is never getting all the way to the starter. All other aspects look good from what I've checked.
Any ideas? Please help, really can't afford a shop, but need it quickly.
JACK wrote:

Hi, If you think that, then how about checking the battery cables to make sure they are in good shape making an good connection.
Yeah I've checked that too. And BTW, I've also run the gear shifter through all settings while trying the ignition just to see if it was that switch. Nothing.
I just don't get it.
Thanks Jack

JACK wrote:

Hi, When is the last time the car ran? Some starter has a solenoid. If solenoid contact(s) is pitted or burnt bad it won'r turn over. Relay enetrgizes solenoid which pass the high current juice to the starter motor. Or if pinion gear from motor does not kick ot to engage fly wheel....

I guess you have to use a meter or test light to trace back from the starter solenoid to see where you lose the 12v from the ignition switch.
It might be a worn ignition switch,or the main relay is bad. (that can be resoldered,if you know how to solder)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

How about a voltage drop test. Measure the voltage at the starter with the key in the run posn. You should read 12v or close thereunto. Have a helper crank the engine (or use a remote starter switch) and watch the voltage. Should drop significantly, say to 3-4v (if I remember correctly). If the voltage stays high, up around 8-9v or more, then you have some parasitic resistance in the circuit. As Tony posted, then check the cable connections at the battery, the connections at the other end, at the starter, that is, and lastly check the condition of the cables themselves. A badly corroded cable with only a few strands still conducting will cause slow cranking or no cranking at all....
Dave D

new battery next
Ok, its fixed. It had two problems. The starter was indeed bad. I changed it out with a new one and checked the old > dead. The second problem was the after market alarm system. Somehow it got fried and was interrupting the start circuit. I'm guessing that there was some sort of an electrical surge in the system that caused both problems. All that matters, it that its back on the road again.
Thanks to everyone for your ideas. They were each very much appreciated.
Jack