97 Accord Locks by Itself

My wife has a 97' Accord with around 87,000 miles on it. Last winter a problem came up that has me stumped. When it's cold, cool, <50 degrees the
cars auto matic locks will not disengage. They will unlock for maybe a second ( gotta be fast with the door!) then lock back. It's annoying but I worry because it locks while your in the car also making it almost inpossibe to get out. Anyone ever seen this before. The dealership here is not much help. Thanks in advance, Joe
josefritz wrote:

The lock in the drivers door has an integrated switch that senses the position of the lock (so that when you use the key or the knob, the control unit will know to lock or unlock the doors). My guess is that dirt, moisture and cold weather has made the switch sluggish. When you press the unlock button, the doors unlock, but the switch does not follow, it is still in the "lock" position. This tells the controller to lock all doors again.
A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:

It appears that the weather is the problem which means that water or moisture is somehow getting into the locking mechanisms. I don't know any solution to the problem. My only advice is to use the key to unlock the car. If you are inside the car and want to get out--try pulling up on the knob located near the window instead of relying on the controls mounted on the arm rest. Ask a mechanic or the dealership service manager to try to determine how water or moisture is getting into the locking mechanism.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO