97 accord srs light on

battery on my accord died today. got new battery. all's good.
but now my SRS (airbag) light is permanently on. there seems to be some stuff on the internet about how to reset it. anyone done that? do I risk
activating my airbags or permanently messing them up? ideas?
thanks.
mdr
The warning light is telling you that the SRS is seeing a fault with one of the impact sensors, most likely. By ignoring this (or just resetting) you are compromising your safety if you are involved in a crash. Take it in and have them extract the fault code. Chances are... it won't be a very expensive thing to fix anyway.
Professor www.telstar-electronics.com
This happened to me in 2001. I also replaced the battery, which did not solve the problem. I had to replace the SRS control unit. The charge was $688. I had bought the car in 1999 used from a dealer and had also purchased an extended warranty for $500. Lucky for me the replacement of the SRS unit was covered by the warranty.