97 Civic Ex air filter question

I just checked my daughter's Civic for oil and a clean air filter and noticed a round black greasy pattern on the bottom of it(the paper fins). I know the round shape is due to the air inlet after the filter
pulling air in but the greasy black stuff surprised me.
I'm thinking their must be a leak somewhere near that is blowing oil from the engine in small amounts into the air filter.
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this issue?
Thanks guys!
Ron T
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ron Truitt) wrote in 3178.bay.webtv.net:

Is the intake tract OEM, or has it been replaced by something aftermarket?
There is no source of oil from your daughter's car that could possibly enter an OEM air intake and foul the bottom of the air filter. It's possible someone ahead of her had a a coolant or oil leak, and those vapors got sucked up by her intake.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
The entire car is OEM.
Thanks for the responses. I was a bit worried since the car seems to be using about a quart of oil every 3,000 miles or so but I cannot find a leak on the ground. It has 105,000 miles so maybe it is due, but I have 2 other cars with 50,000 more miles and they have never leaked.
Ron T
Ron Truitt wrote:

oil consumption is a whole different game. since it's a subject that comes up here regularly, google this group for some outline answers, then come back with further questions.
Ron Truitt wrote:

it's just road filth.