97 Civic, tachometer jumps up

My daughter's 97 Civic had its engine replaced recently. Today, as the car went over bumps she saw a light blinking. She thinks it's the check engine light.

At the same time, the tachometer would jump 500 or more RPMs, but she didn't notice the engine increasing in acceleration. I drove the car myself and, as I saw the tachometer increase by 500 to 1000 RPMs, I heard a noise twice. Not big nor long, but as if something was grinding against something. I didn't notice the engine increase in RPMs either.

Any idea what this may be?

Than you

Tony

Reply to