'97 Honda CRV problem- Hissing noise near the pedals and smell like carpet cleaner

After driving about for about 20 minutes on a 90 degree day with the AC on about half-max, I started hearing a hissing noise in my '97 Honda CRV and a smell I can only describe as smelling like house/
carpet cleaner: it's a sweet smell but not blatantly noxious like radiator fluid. Neither the hissing nor the smell could be detected from outside looking under the hood. The hissing noise is loudest near the pedals (or under the dashboard on the driver's side). Both the hissing and smell decreased with time (in minutes) after I turned the car off.
Any idea what the problem could be?
I apologize in advance if this is an inappropriate question for this forum. I couldn't find any similar issue at other forums or websites.
Thanks for you time and help, Hos
57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

Known problem. Covered by TSB 99-007.
The cure is to replace the air conditioning "expansion valve" with part number 80220-ST7-A03.
Labor is about 1.5 hours, or about $150. With parts you're running over $200. Plus tax.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Great, thanks so much for the help!