98 accord needs oil pan

Page 1 of 2
I have been told by my servicing Honda dealer that my 1998 Accord EXV6 has an oil pan with a stripped drain plug and self tapping plugs which they are
now using is only a temporary fix. The car has 110,000 miles on it and the dealer has done most ALL of its oil changes. I really though that only Jiffy Lube stripped Honda pans, not the dealers, but I can understand that a car with my mileage may have this issue. (?)
My dealer wants $130 for the pan and $250 installation. Seems excessive as an OEM pan is available on line for $48.00 from Majestic Honda!
Anyone with an idea on an "acceptable" cost to replace the oil pan on my car in the Long Island, New York area??
Thanks, Matthew
Matthew wrote:

either way, stripped drain plug is imo a crime punishable by moving your business elsewhere.
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:02:46 -0500, Matthew wrote:

It should never happen unless the plug was put in cross-threaded, or it was over-tightened. Find a new dealership to do your service.

That's the price of dealing with a dealer. You could try talking to the service manager, to see if he will cut you a break, since the damage was obviously done by his shop...

the previous owner relied too much on Midas for service (original timing belt at 163K miles!) Still, we made it through about half a dozen do-it-myself oil changes before the oil drain bolt stripped. Had Midas been overtorqueing the bolt and it finally caught up with me? Dunno. But I suspect even torqueing "by the book" results in gradual erosion of the pan threads. I can testify that a mechanic can do it exactly right, even several times, and still the bolt may strip. It also seems to be a uniquely Honda phenomenon; I haven't seen any other make that has this problem... unless cross-threaded, of course.
NAPA carries single and double oversize drain bolts for Hondas. Hers now has a single oversize and it has done well through a handful of oil changes. My only complaint is that it doesn't thread in very far by hand the way the original did, but it does thread far enough to ensure it isn't cross-threading. I recommend leaving it at as-is unless and until there is another stripped thread. If that happens, at least it won't be with a new pan!
Mike
<snip>

It does not. The single and sole cause of stripped oil pan drain bolt threads is overtorquing.
Too many mechanics (even dealership ones, unfortunately) hand-torque the bolt to save time, usually overdoing it by a considerable margin.
The first oil pan in my Integra made it barely 3 years with oil changes exclusively by an Acura dealer. The second, well...It's still on there.

Unlikely. Do it right, right from the start, and that bolt will go a long long time before it strips. And I mean a decade or more, or well over 100 oil changes.

It is. It has to do with the way Honda makes the threads in the oil pan.
The official Honda cure is Heli-Coil.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Then perhaps this?
http://www.fumotovalve.com /
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

jim beam wrote:

    Fram had something like this for sale many years ago. I bought one, but never installed it. Possibility of a bad outcome scared me too much. bob

What scares me more than anything else is that the thing hangs down below the oil pan bottom. Can you say "exposed", boys and girls?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

It wouldn't on my 94 Integra GSR;the oil plug is on the side not the bottom of the pan.You'd tear up your oil pan (and everything else under your car) before you got the valve.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
TeGGeR wrote:

I guess it depends on the model.
I had the same concern when I had one installed in my 98 Civic (because of negligent service at oil changing places). That is, until you notice that the plug is behind the pan and that the valve comes at an angle. Its end is still above the pan bottom, to tear it apart you have to rip open the pan first.
Serban

Makes me wonder if Tegger has ever been under his Integra to change his oil. (I doubt his VTEC is any different than mine in that respect.)
;-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

According to my stats, I've changed my oil myself approximately 95 times since the warranty ran out in 1994.
(Interesting. In 1994 I paid $7.11 for a gallon of Castrol GTX at K-Mart. The same stuff is up over $20 in 2006. Wow!)
The drain bolt is barely hidden by the oil pan, maybe 1/4" up from the lowest point.
From a quick look at the link that was provided of that spigot-thingy, I couldn't see how it would go on without sticking down below the oil pan's bottom. If I was wrong, I was wrong. I still won't use those things.
And I don't have VTEC!
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Gotta buy some of that oil stock with the money you save by doing so much car maintenance yourself. I finally had it with gas prices and surrendered in September ago, purchasing my first oil company position. ;-)

Except oil prices are going down now...
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Historically, oil stock price growth and stock dividend growth have beat inflation by a lot. This of course is consistent with your observation above on the Castrol oil.
"TeGGeR" wrote:

Yeah but... It's curious on how some oil related stuff never goes down. Products like propane, motor oil etc simply become a cash cow to big oil.
Gas prices OTOH are an everyday encounter so smart business requires attention by producers to maintain (what they think) the market will bear.
JT
(Grumpier than normal today..)
TeGGeR wrote:

Mite hit a score spot but wallmart sell a five quart container for under ten bucks GTX

Or just torque the damn bolt properly.
Last time I had the local dealer do an oil change (some time last year) I noticed a notation on the invoice that stated the drain bolt had been "hand-torqued". I thought, uh-oh...What's the opposite of that?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

    May it mean that they DIDN"T use one of those fancy new extensions that apply the correct torque automatically? Just a guess. bob