98 accord needs oil pan

Page 2 of 2
Well, I already spoke to the service manager at my dealer who after quoting me the outrageous price of $380 I very politely explained to him that HIS
service dept is likely responsible for the stripped plug. His response was NO, it was age and the best he would do is discount the bill a whipping 10%!!! When Jiffy Lube did it to my '88 Accord I complained to corporate who promptly and without argument reimbursed me for my new pan. But my dealer.....????? Now I am pissed and am ready to go corporate to Honda as well.
Any suggestions on that route?? Thanks again, Matthew

I called American Honda and opened a case. Awaiting a response...

year)
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:01:29 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

They are a neat idea, but I don't like the fact that the oil in the bottom of the pan cannot be drained.
I suppose you could run a quart through after emptying to clean the bottom a bit, but it would be nice if someone would come up with such a solution straight from the factory that would actually empty the pan...
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:51:54 +0000 (UTC), Joe LaVigne

Dealer swore to me it's natural after ten years or so, ... no?
J.
JXStern wrote:

ten years of what? ten years of over-torque, yes, it'll fail. 10 years of correct usage? no.
jim beam wrote:

I have an '82 and '83 Honda Civic and both as far as I can tell have original oil pans with the correct plug. Oil pan drain plug problems are not limited to Hondas if my experience counts for anything over the past forty years...
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

imo, the only thing wrong with the honda plug is that it's got a big bolt head in a nice accessible position where a knuckle-dragger can go nuts on it with a long wrench. if they had a 3/8" square socket like the auto transmissions, i don't think we'd ever see this problem.
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 05:48:15 +0000, JXStern wrote:

Ask the dealer if there are any other bolts in the car that he considers it normal to have strip after 10 years of normal use and torque...
Maybe the spark plugs. Boy would THAT be a good deal for a dealership.
Under normal torque, without being cross-threaded, the threads should last forever. If they don't, then there is a problem with Honda that needs to be fixed.

Actually, I suspect that's the case. Even with careless torque other makes seem to hold up forever. I don't think I've even seen the subject come up in other auto fora.
It would make more sense if the annulus the plug screws into were aluminum. I'm pretty sure it's steel so I don't know what to make of it.
Mike
Mike, Joe, Jim...I just hope American Honda agrees with you guys (and me!) The more I think about it, the more aggravated I get with the dealer. Unusual since this dealer has really taken good care of me service wise... I'll post again after I hear from the arbitrator.

last
in
aluminum.
Matthew wrote:

"good service" means never getting to this stage. they should have at least offered to compromise - if they didn't eat the cost entirely. it's not worth losing a customer over a $130 part.

Michael Pardee wrote:

Maybe they did not put in a new aluminum washer and tried to reuse the old one. This guarantees that they'll have to overtighten it to get that snug feeling. Cross-threading is probably less an occurence than careless and cut-the-corners service.
Serban
Just posting a follow-up. Three days after calling American Honda to file a case, The service manager from the dealer called...(NOT the one who offered me 10% off.) He had heard from my case manager and very politely asked what he could to rectify the situation. I said "replace my oil pan". Without a pause he said "OK, when do you want to bring it in?" NO cost me me. I would have expected nothing less from Honda. Thanks for all of your input on this matter. Matthew
NOW the question remains...can I feel comportable continuing to bring it to them for fear of doing it again??? From now on I will have them put in MY service notes: "Be sure to place new drain plug, new washer and hand torque to factory specs" !!

makes
up in

IMO one's best bet is to change the oil one's self. If you absolutely cannot do this, then buy the washers yourself at the dealer or an online parts site like www.slhonda.com (maybe with a bunch of OEM oil filters, too, to make the shipping economical). Then wherever you take the car for an oil change, pointedly have the shop promise to use the new washer and not to overtorque the drain plug. Tell them what happened before.
I cannot say for sure, but based on reading reports here, I think the stripping could very well be normal wear and tear. Honda may have done you a huge favor by arranging to have the oil pan changed at no charge. Problem is, one cannot say for sure.

Excellent!
That sounds like you want them to replace the *drain plug* every time they change your oil.It's not the cause of the overtorquing or crossthreading.

Perhaps you meant "place NEW washer on drain plug and torque to factory specs by hand".?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik