'98 Accord Question

My roomate has a 98 accord with a 2.3? i think. Last night she ran it out of gas, now the check engine light is on and the idle seems low (the car shutters at idle). I am thining fuel filter possibly due to
trash in tank getting stirred up with the ethanol conversions in this area. We called orielly to get a price and they say the accord doesnt have a fuel filter, i say yeah right.??? Anyone know where it is, or does it really not have one, i would be shocked if not.
You can and should get the code causing the CEL read. Autozone.com will do a free reading for you.
Once you figure out which 98 Accord model it is, you can look over the parts at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (with great drawings) and see.
For the 98 Accord 4-cylinder LX, there is a fuel filter shown under "Fuel Pipe." The fuel tank contains a second filter.
Consider putting a bottle of Chevron Techron (about six dollars) into the fuel tank when it's next almost empty. Fill. Monitor. It's a fuel system cleaner much advocated here.

Elle, Excellent post. Keep up the great work. It's my opinion that fuel filters should not be in the fuel tank since they are so hard to change. Do you agree? Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

I reckon there's a reason Honda started putting one in the tank (for certain years) in addition to the one external. I'd have to read up more on it to say anything intelligent.
My 91 Civic only has the one external fuel filter, to be changed every four years or 60k miles. What's the maintenance frequency on the 98 Accord for the filter(s)?
Thanks for the kind words. I'm an enthused amateur, now off to Harbor Freight to study their $7 special suspension coil compressor (Autozone's rentals look awfully big and unwieldy for the little Honda coils) and any ball joint separators they have lying around. Could be a good project for summer. :-)

Ellen, I hope that you learn a lot on the project. I own a 1999 Accord EX and I asked the service manager at the local Honda dealership when the filter in the gas tank needed to be changed. He told me that due to the expense (mainly related to labor) that they only changed it if it was obvious that fuel was not flowing out of gas tank. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

That should help the OP. :-)
Maybe the fuel pump design is different on the newer Hondas and so more thorough filtering is required. Though I don't know where the filter is relative to the pump...

I don't do the work on my 1999 Accord. I let the mechanics at the dealership do it so I also don't know where the filter is relative to the pump. I am not allowed to work on my car as a result of the stupid rules related to where I live. The only thing that I do is to check the oil and refill the window washing fluid. When I was younger--and living somewhere else--I done all of the required work on my car. I miss those days. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Rosco wrote:

Check the cap for tightness. It's probably stored a MISFIRE code when it sputtered and died.
Remove the BACKUP/ RADIO fuse for (only) ten seconds and it will reset. Use injector cleaner as mentioned.
'Curly'