'98 Accord transmission noise

I have a 1998 Honda Accord EX V-6 (~135K Miles). Sometimes when I shift the car into reverse, it makes a very loud noise (as in so loud, that passengers will sometimes gasp slightly). I've taken it into my mechanic, but since the noise is intermittent I can't reproduce it. Does anyone have an idea what this could be or how I could be of assistance to my mechanic in diagnosing it?

About the noise: It sounds kind of like a *CRACK* or a very pronounced click. I *THINK* it happens after the car is already in gear. It only happens when shifting into reverse.

Thanks

Reply to
david.bernal

---------------------------------

If one of your front CV-joints is getting loose, it will smack when you change direction of the drive. Have you tried listening to the front end while turning tight corners on clean pavement at low speeds? Click, click, click would be the sound.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Thanks Curly, I tried that today, and there weren't any noises.

Reply to
david.bernal

I have a 98 Accord 4-cylinder and I have the same problem when shifting into reverse. I talked to my mechanic about it and he told me that it was a common occurance in all models of 98 Accords with miles over 100k. He also told me that it was nothing to worry about... so I havent given it a second thought...

"david.bernal" wrote: >

Thanks Curly, I tried that today, and there weren't any > noises.

Reply to
Rorus33