98 civic brakes draggin

Hi there,

98 civic LX (canadian) 5spd non-abs. 262000KM

I noticed when I roll to a stop that it feels like the brakes are binding. I did the spin check on my wheels, and the front driver side was dragging some.

Has been exuding a symptom for the past year or so, when I come to full stop, there is a loud click that comes from the calipers.

My question: would a caliper rebuild resolve this issue? Can you get a rebuild kit for these? I imagine I need new caliper pins and sleeves.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks Terry in Winterpeg.

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

yes.

sure - everything is all available online.

not necessarily. more likely it's the piston locking up in the cylinder.

for this location, consider just replacing the caliper. if you have bad rust, a rebuild may be of limited value. should do both sides at once. also, if you haven't changed the brake fluid in a while, be prepared for the master cylinder to start leaking once the new fluid shrinks the seals.

Reply to
jim beam

--------------------------------

That's a lot af clicks. It's probably just the sliders. Pull them apart and lube with the correct lube. See exploded parts diagram at

See also

for extensive instructions for SALTY-roads brake service.

'Curly' in Edmonton.

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"loewent via CarKB.com" wrote in news:679fc01873bbd@uwe:

Piston stuck.

Yes. Absolutely. But maybe not the click, That might be something else.

Dealer. Don't mess with aftermarket for this.

I imagine I need new caliper pins and

You need a new caliper PISTON and hydraulic seal. Replacing the pins and boots is NOT a "rebuild".

With the caliper off the rotor, step on the pedal enough to eject the piston about one inch. Each full press of the pedal is worth about

1/16"-1/8" of piston travel. Spray some brake cleaner on the piston boot to clean off the gunge. Get a blunt instrument of some kind and pull the boot away from the piston. Is the piston shiny silver inside? Is it caked with brown and black?
Reply to
TeGGeR®

" also, if you haven't changed the brake fluid in a while, be prepared for the master cylinder to start leaking once the new fluid shrinks the seals."

Why would new fluid cause that? Should I be looking for a new master cylinder? Or will this correct itself?

jim beam wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

my experience is, even with a pressure bleeder that avoids pumping the master cylinder, master cylinder seals can fail a few weeks after fluid change if the fluid was previously neglected for a long time. disassembly shows those seals to be soft and sticky where the rubber has deteriorated. i think that when coming into contact with new fluid, which contains rubber conditioners, old previously contaminated seals just can't cope with their new chemical environment.

wait and see. you may be fine. i just mentioned it because it can be frustrating to do major work on one end of the system only to find the other end needs doing a few weeks later.

time will tell!

Reply to
jim beam