98 Civic Coupe High Mounted Brake Light Replacement

How do you remove the light holder from the rear shelf on a '98 Civic Coupe? I tried to twist the holder both ways, but it refuses to budge. Is there some other way
to remove it so I can replace the light bulb? TIA.

Have you looked for retaining bolts or fixtures in the underside of the shelf, from inside the trunk?
SD

You have to remove the rear parcel shelf, which is held in with a half dozen clips. Flop the rear seats down, and pull up on the shelf. Be careful not to break the clips or yank the brake lamp electrical connector.
Once the shelf is loose, there are two small screws on the underside of the brake lamp housing. Remove those and the bulb is now accessible. Pretty stupid design, I think.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

have red rear turn signal lenses. detroit resists orange turn signals because of trivial incremental cost increase. nhtsa wants them for safety. the [brainless] political solution is the central brake light - half the expense of orange signals and they still don't address the fundamental safety issue of turn signals and brakes lights being the same color. a truly despicable lack of gonads...

CHMSLs have also been required in Europe since the late-'90s. And Europe also requires amber turns.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Thanks! Glad it didn't try to turn it too hard!