98 Civic Heater Blower Fan Noise

My '98 civic will be humming along with the blower fan on and all of a sudden it will make a gawd-awful noise like something is stuck in the fan. I pulled the fan and operated it out of its housing and it seemed to be OK,
with no noise and no noticeable wobbling or imbalance.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Dennis
doregan at verizon dot net