98 Civic Ignition Timing

OK, my 95 Civic is a piece of cake to set the ignition timing, but my daughter's 98 (east coast)Civic, is very confusing? And, I have read multiple posts about shorting the connector and on the 98 there is only
one two wire connector imbedded in a rubber plug near the top of the ECU. This 98 (maybe all 98's) is certified as meeting Federal and Calif emissions standards. Maybe, that is why there is no sticker under the hood that shows ignition timing? Again, I have the factory book for my 95, but only, the Haynes for the 98. It says to look for the sticker under the hood. There is a sticker that covers plugs, valve clearances, but not ignition timing. My plan was to just check the timing. I have reviewed over 500 posts on Civic Ignition Timing. Topic 8457 was quite interesting under Honda General, but there was confusion about the one (and only one)connector lighting the CEL. Also which of the three marks (not counting the fourth mark which is TDC)do you set the timing to? Thanks in advance for your assistance!
The procedure for the 98 Civic available via the link below seems pretty good.
http://search.ebscohost.com/ Login (for free) using the username "lib" and the password "access." Click on "Auto Repair Reference Center.
Go to the "Maintenance and Tuneup" section, then "Ignition timing."
After the paper clip is installed in the service check connector, you want to see that the center mark of the three marks close together aligns with the pointer on the TB cover.