98 Civic LX Headlamp Condensation

I am broke, and this car did not come with an owner's manual. I can't see at night because my headlamps are fogged up. I have found conflicting info about whether or not I have to remove the front bumper to do: 1.Drill air holes in the bottom of the headlamp assembly behind the lens; or, 2. Somehow pop-off the lens and clean it and attempt to re-seal the assembly; or, 3. Replace the whole assembly with a cheap new one from ebay.

Do I have to take off the front bumper to do either of these? What should I do?

Reply to
BiGGie

BiGGie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k36g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

Drilling holes in the bottom of the reflector, immediately behind the lens, is the best way to fix this.

Alternatively, you will find good cheap headlamp assemblies at a local wreckers, likely cheaper than eBay.

No matter whether you replace entirely, drill the reflector or reseal the lens, you need to remove the front bumper. This PDF is for a car newer than yours, but will give you some idea of what you're in for. I'ts not difficult, just fiddly.

Reply to
Tegger

I agree with Tegger. I did that exact thing and it worked perfect. No more problem!

Reply to
Tom

What size holes did you drill?

Reply to
Edwin

"Edwin" wrote in news:49825104$0$17050$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

Really tiny ones, but five or six of them. Maybe 3/32" diameter.

If the holes are too big, they let in too much dust. Plus they show from the outside. Make them as close to the lens as possible.

Reply to
Tegger