98 Civic question

Car: 98 Civic EX w/ 87,000 mi, auto trans, 2-dr
Problem: When front windshield defrost is turned on and the temp is set in red (hot), there's this burning smell. The smell is also present outside the
car by the driver side wheelwell.
If I set the temp to warm (center) or cool, I don't get that smell.
Heating/defrosting systems work fine. The burning smell is only present when the control is set to front windshield defrost. Please help.
Just found out - cracked front windshiled and driver side headlight. Man, what's next?

Hunt down the smell outside the car first - I think the odor is just being drawn in (the system probably doesn't recirculate in 'defrost'). Since things have to get pretty hot to make a burning smell, a look at the exhaust system - especially where it passes under the oil filter - is a good start. Nothing should be touching the hot parts except metal. Sometimes rodents will start building nests on top of the catalytic converter heat shield, too.
Mike