98 civic upper control arm

OK so I did the passenger upper control arm on my 98 civic yesterday. It took about 20 minutes, very easy job. Torqued the bolts down as per my Haynes manual (i know sometimes Haynes is wrong, but it was all I had at the time).

Torqued the Upper Ball joint castle nut to 35 ft-lbs Torques the Side bolts to 40 ft-lbs

When I was driving later, I took a left turn (I did the right control arm), and heard a *CLANG*. Stopped, inspected it and nothing was wrong, and everything was tight as could be.

Was this just the upper balljoint taper seating itself properly into the steering knuckle? If so, I guess I should retorque the castle nut, right?

Thanks t

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

"T L via CarKB.com" wrote in news:550c93721e37f@uwe:

Did you make sure the suspension was at its normal (on the ground) position before tightening everything up?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

If you have the jack under the lower control arm and jack it up JUST to the point where it elevates the car, and then torque your bolts, then that shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like you did it right.

Reply to
Student

for the upper control arm? isn't that tightened from under the hood? the swivel jount can be tightened in any position, obviously.

Reply to
jim beam

Those are the side bolts. I don't think they are the issue here, I was referring to the castle nut on the upper ball joint.

jim beam wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

that one can be tightened in any position - it's the bolts that fasten rubber bushings that need to be tightened with the car on the ground.

Reply to
jim beam