98 CR-V blower stuck on high

Weird! My blower speed does not respond to the adjustment knob - it just goes full tilt all the time.

The AC does, however, cycle off when then knob hits the off position (and defrosting).

Anyone hear of/have this problem before?

I hope it's not the heater control unit - $659 at Majestic Honda. I might be able to score one at a salvage yard for under $100.

For now, I'm just putting up with the noise and adjusting temp as needed.

Reply to
Rich S

check out the recent accord blower thread on rec.autos.makers.honda

if that doesn't work, check the blower transistor.

Reply to
jim beam

You can download the FSM from

The troubleshooting sequence you want is on page 22-14

Reply to
E. Meyer

Thanks for the responses.

jim beam - I did a little more surfing and found this forum post that also points to the blower transistor:

E. Meyer - Thanks for the link. I should have mentioned that I have the service manual in a .pdf and that I already read through those pages. I was looking for more info before I tore the dash apart.

For $25 and the (relatively) easy access to the blower transistor, I think I'll just go for it and replace it. I'll try this weekend if I can find the part locally.

Reply to
Rich S

Update - I installed a new blower transistor and the problem is solved.

The part was $29.50 from my Honda dealer. It took me about 45 minutes to install mostly because I'm not as limber as I used to be. And, the reading glasses kept falling off - it sucks getting old.

For anyone else faced with this repair, the process was:

- remove glove box door

- remove three screws holding blower in blower housing

- drop blower down to floor (I was able to keep it plugged in)

- unplug old transistor and remove two mounting screws. Note that the plug and screws are accessible from the top of the blower housing but the part itself is inside the housing.

- remove old transistor from inside blower housing

- reverse process to install new transistor and reassemble.

Reply to
Rich S