98 Honda Accord coolant

Hi, I have a 98 Honda Accord at about 77k miles. About a month ago when I changed a light bulb, I realized that the coolant reservoir was empty. I never paid attention to the bottle before because I assume the guy who change my engine oil should fill it up. The engine temp is pretty steady, no overheat at all and I do not see any white smoke from exhaust. So I fill it up to max. About two week later, the coolant drop to min line. So I fill it up again. Ever since I start to realize the coolant level in the bottle decrease slowly since I check it in the morning when the engine is cold.

So I went to car shop and they did a pressure check and told me the uppper hose is leaking. So I had them replece both upper hose and lower hose, flush the coolant. Yesterday morning when the engine is cold, I fill up the bottle to max. This morning I saw bottle lever went down again.

Can someone tell me if there are problems here? I appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot

Reply to
joseph_zhao99

fill it one more time to be sure. it may just be air expulsion is the radiator guy did not burp the system properly.

if it's still losing coolant, check the drain plug on the radiator - the seal may be leaking. if not, check under the car where the water pump drains through the timing belt cover. if there's coolant there, the seal's starting to leak. some "weeping" is normal. leaking preceeds failure.

Reply to
jim beam

thanks for the rreply. I forget to mention, after they repalce the hose, they told me they did a pressure check again snd do not see any problems.

jim beam wrote:

Reply to
joseph_zhao99

If your radiator style is the same as my daughter's '93 Accord, look at the top of the radiator where the brace crosses over it from front to back. Ours has a flat spot (the rest of the top is domed) and it has developed a crack from one side of the flat spot to the other right down the middle. Apparently that flat area flexes and eventually cracks through, because when I laid a bead of steel filled epoxy over it the crack continued through the epoxy! It should have shown up on the pressure check, though.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

joseph snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

If the level keeps going down all the time, get them to do a pressure check of the CYLINDERS. They will do this by screwing an air-line adapter into the spark plug hole, pressurizing each one to 100 lbs or so, and looking for bubbles in the coolant.

What they're checking for is a blown head gasket. If they find no external leaks, you'd better be certain the head gasket is OK.

Reply to
TeGGeR®