99 & 2000 Civic SI fuel mileage?

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that the 99 & 2000 Civic SI is the one with the 1.6 twin cam V-Tech and that is the car I am interested in.

I have been thinking about looking for a used SI of this era but I was dissappointed to look at the EPA fuel economy ratings for the SI. Although I love to drive hard on occasion I generally drive for fuel economy. I would think that by keeping the revs down and driving on the mild cam profiles one could get excellent economy but this does not seem to be the case. I think the SI's are geared much lower than than the other Civics and perhaps this is the reason.

What kind of fuel economy are 99 & 2000 Civic SI oweners getting in the real world?

Has anybody attempted to get maximum mpg from there SI and what was the result? Does anybody know what type of milegae an SI will get when cruising at 65-70 mph on the highway?

I assume this is all on premium gasoline.

I have a 94 DX 5-speed and am getting fabulous mileage on regular gas. Always over 30 mpg and up to 45 mpg on the highway.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
hoza.2

Exactly. Si models are geared for fun. If fuel economy is a priority mundane civic would work better for you.

So you want a fun car but you don't want to pay for the lower mileage that is a part of the package?

Still in your 20s I take it?

Reply to
Body Roll

Not really, I'm just wondering why V-Tech doesn't help more with regard to economy. The promise of V-Tech is that, with effectively having two sets of cams, one CAN have the best of two worlds--the docile idle, lower rpm torque, and better economy on the prime cam lobes, and lots of high reving power on the secondary lobes. The EPA estimates of 26 city & 31 highway seem very low but as we all know "your milage may vary". I tend to do better than EPA estimates and I was wondering if anybody with an SI is too. Of course, a sample of SI owners would likely be skewed toward owners who dive for fun rather than economy but I am interested in what is possible rather than what is average. After all, there may be a few SI owners like me, in their fifties and well past the boy racer stage, who occasionally want the kick in the pants and sound of a sweet high reving engine but more often than not are happy to trundle along in as unobtrusive and economical manner as possible (like the old folks that we are!).

Reply to
hoza.2

[...]

there are v-tecs that do this, but the si isn't one of them - it's simply tuned for performance. look at an ex if you're more economy oriented.

Reply to
jim beam

Si is a wrong car for trundling along in an unobtrusive and economical manner. There are plenty of cars with fscked up gearing. My 05 Impreza is one of them. You can't have both economy and fun. Suggest to leave the Si alone and get one of fscked up cars like the mundane Civic (EX/LX/DX/etc).

Reply to
Body Roll