99 Civic Si Problems

I own a 99' Civic Si with 208K on it. Engine light on due to P1457 EVAP code. Dealer says the entire emission system needs to be replaced and stated the EVAP system failure was due to the overfilling the gas tank. Any
advice.
Also have a leaking rear main seal. Any advice?
Thanks
Jeff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jeff Quint, MBA, BESc. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Visit Auto Zone or some other auto store and have them reset the check engine light for free. Write down the displayed code. Make sure that you turn the gas cap really tight after each fill up. If the light comes on again--it was NOT caused by the gas cap or the overfilling the gas tank. I should also note that when you fill up--don't top off. If the light comes on again--it means that you do have a problem. Take it back to Auto Zone and have them read the code. Post the code in this newsgroup if the Auto Zone staff does not know what it means. We'll tell you what the code means.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
If as you say you're really at 208k miles on it, with a leaking main seal and the emissions system is shot, honestly I'd consider junking it. Goodness knows you've gotten your money's worth out of it. I sure wouldn't want to invest much to fix it.

a p1457 is a code for an EVAP leak. it is somewhere between the tank and the engine, it's not a gas cap, that would be a p1456. have someone put a smoke machine on it and find the problem. Chip
I have 208,000 kilometres on the car or 130,000 miles.
Code for EVAP is P1457, which is an evap problem. I was just looking for some more information on how to pinpoint exactly what part of the EVAP system was failing, canister, purge sensor, valves, etc.
Any one know where to look on the web for good technical info or where to find service manuals.
Thanks
--
Sincerest Regards,

Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

www.helminc.com
The best there is and worth every penny.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
hondahookup.com