99 civic timing belt and valve train probs

I have had a couple previous posts regarding my sister's 99 civic. The dealership put the car back together after a catastrophic failure of the timing belt. There is valve damage which is audible at idle.

Funny thing is though, when the car is initially started and the engine is cold, the damage doesn't seem that bad, and the engine fires on all cylinders.

After it warms up, it starts running shittily and the check engine light starts flashing.

Can anyone explain why this might be happening?

Thanks t

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

Why not take it back to the dealer? If they did not fix it properly, or the tappets are too tight, they should fix it at no charge.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Sorry, I didn't include links to the previous articles, look up '99 civic timing belt snappage' on google and you will find them.

The dealership reassembled the timing assembly with the understanding that there was potential valve damage. There was a chance that there was none, but it ended up that cylinder 3 had no compression, meaning either exhaust or intake valve damage.

That little experiment cost $650 CAD (had to replace the CKF Sensor as well $185 CAD later.... grrrrr)

My question is: Now that we have determined there is damage of some kind, what would cause the car to run fine when the engine is cold, but start to run poorly after its warmed up?

I have done a compression test on cylinder 3, and there is no compression at all.

Stewart DIBBS wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

here are the links to the threads: