A/C Compress Doesn't Turn On

I have a 93 Honda Accord 5 speed standard that the A/C compressor won't turn on. I checked the fuse in the inside fuse panel, and it is good. I would think because of the current this unit would draw there would also be a relay to turn it on. If there is one, can some one tell me where it is located. The Haynes repair manual doesn't really say to much about the A/C side of things.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mike

Reply to
Mo Man

One of the most common reasons for the compressor not engaging is loss of refrigerant (freon). The sensor switch for that is right behind the left high beam headlight, forward of the compressor. The switch should be closed just sitting there. If you don't have an ohmmeter handy, you can also start the engine and turn on the A/C full cold; momentarily shorting across the contacts in the connector will engage the compressor if loss of refrigerant is your problem. Don't run the compressor more than a moment that way.

There is also a relay, which the Helm manual indicates is the front one on the driver's side of the engine compartment, almost hidden by the washer fluid reservoir.

Sadly, '93 was the last year of using R-12. If the system has been converted to R-134a there will be stickers under the hood. If not, and you need a charge, you will probably find the cost of refilling with R-12 to be more than conversion to R-134a... especially since there must be a leak if the refrigerant is gone.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hi Mike,

The Freon pressure switch seems to be Ok, but the compressor still doesn't engage. My Haynes manual shows a A/C Thermo Switch in series with the Freon switch. Does your Helm manual give a location for that one? I'm in the process of checking out that relay that is almost impossible to get at.

Thanks again for your help,

Mike

refrigerant

Reply to
Mo Man

That must be the one buried in the evaporator - the manual shows how to test it if it is removed :-(

The relay shouldn't be too bad to get to if you remove the mounting bracket - just the one bolt. But that area is mighty crowded.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee