A/C explosions:Recall, need more info?

Sunday, March 18, 2007, our 2003 Honda CR-V Air Conditioner seized up, causing the AC electromagnetic clutch to explode, sending the parts through the lower front shrouds and onto the street.

Honda dealer where we bought it with a 1 year warranty, Dec, 2005, says bring it in Tuesday for their assessment, and to file forms for a potential help from Honda Motors.

You see, internal contamination on this tested and "Honda Certified" Used Honda, is the only thing that could have caused this.

It has been running nice and cold when we used it, and was fine as we were going down the road, until the sudden 'explosion' happened!

Word is that the entire system gets changed out! Dealer states if it is in the criteria of failure Honda has been suffering, Honda will "help us out'.

Hmmmm. Their "bad" problem, and I pay? I think the jury is out on that for the nonce, and the attorneys are waiting in the wings.

Anyone with any experience of having their Air Conditioning go entirely bad due to internal contamination should comment here. Did you pay? What percent did Honda offer you?

TIA

Reply to
Linuxiac

I dunno about internal contamination being the root cause. The compressor on our '85 Volvo seized and smoked the clutch (smelled like brownies baking, actually.) The system had never been opened except for one evacuation and charge.

However, now there probably are shards of compressor running around in the system :-(

Finally, have you determined it was the compressor seizing that was at fault? Normally, the clutch just burns up when that happens. Yours really sounds more like the bearing seized, which locks the outer pulley regardless of whether the clutch is engaged. If the system gets changed out it would be the compressor; it just seems odd.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Can you find out for us what years were affected?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Our HUGE local dealer service department states it seems a common problem, and one tech. mentioned a total recall, while a second tech. wants to diagnose first. Both stated that Honda Motors has been picking up the tab, for entire system replacement!

I suspect contaminated products, not properly made, such as weak hoses, that let some internal part slough off and the grudge breaks out, making he compressor seize up!

But, want others with Hondas that have had this to comment, though yours is appreciated...

I have been an AC and Vehicle Service Tech., and an electronics systems (Cryptograpic systems since 1965 - USAF retired)technician, and computer Technician (since 1969, USAF) and also have owned, and managed several automobile dealerships and service garages since 1988, in Florida.

This is a tough environment for AC, especially mobile systems on cars and trucks ( maintained those, refrigeration and cooling systems in the Air Force for Mobile Communications Centers and on special vehicles).

But, this was an instant and complete total distruction, which I have only seen maybe twice, in my life. Never on such a young system, though!

Thanks!

Reply to
Linuxiac

-----------------------------

Sign in (put your location in your details) and SEARCH at

You won't even have to ask.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Yes, Of Course! will report back! Dealer Service scheduled to look at it Tuesday... April 3, 2007. Also, will put this up on the SUV forum for Honda CR-Vs...

Reply to
Linuxiac

thanks, and I tried to post, but am not permitted yet.... so, here's my notes! please post if you want to, over to HondaSUVs...

I LOVE HONDA Motor company, and all the wonderful Hondas I've owned since 1969!

12/2005, and paid for a one year warranty.

cold AC, when suddenly a "bang", and a "tuna can" went out the rear on the road. Stopped and went to search, and didn't find it.

$1,000 repair. Just did $850 on home AC repairs, on an 8 year old Rheem Scroll compressor replacement. So, we are a bit tapped out, for now...

in just the parts.

with a rental car PO.. Yes, this is a $1,500 to $1,900 job in most shops!

motocycles, since 1970. In the past year, we encouraged 4 friends and relatives to buy Honda's.

Buicks, Oldsmobiles, VWs, Sunbeams, Triumphs, Toyotas, Renaults, Citroens, Mazdas, Packards, Cadillacs, Edsels, Mitsubishis, Isuzus, Metropolitians, NSUs, MGs, Range Rovers, and about three dozen other Marques you never heard of, or that haven't been around in decades. Even had a Victoria, in 1965, which was a hybrid electric go kart with a fiberglas body, and a Briggs lawn mower engine! Smaller than a Miata, and more scary!

And, I was a licensed Motor Vehicle Dealer for over 10 years, and performed Service on all makes, in my garages, another 10 years.

time to check out the system one more time, after it 'resting' overnight.

grandkids after school, then, over to Christmas, to pick up the working wife, and now here. Seems to me I've spent the whole day on the road... Well, four trips of 35 miles each, in heavy traffic...

couldn't get an answer about what year vehicles might have some kind of problem, related to the AC failure, as it isn't yet a "recall" type of problem.

no data, no statistics, no trends. So, there is no diffinitive statement about any identified vehicles having this type of problem! Right now, we know of three folks who have contacted this group, out of the millions of owners.

Reply to
Linuxiac