A/T fluid dipstick hard to reach

Page 2 of 2

Much of that will be labor. One of the drawbacks of FWD, unfortunately.

You'll probably get no more than a year. The used tranny will be as much of an unknown to them and the wrecking yard as it will be to you.
Everybody's banking on the low mileage, here.
--
Tegger

On 09/05/2012 05:46 PM, Tegger wrote:

fwd is a good deal easier to work on than rwd. and there's no inherent price difference in parts.

but for a low enough price, you can get the thing changed multiple times. and if you do a good job selecting the replacement, only the once.

the dealer's kids are banking on his wallet. in a big way.
--
fact check required

On 9/5/2012 5:46 PM, Tegger wrote:

I'll get 1 yr warranty on parts only.

That's typical. Nobody will give you a warranty on the labor, because that's a whole day's worth if they have to cough up on it. Too expensive and too risky.
--
Tegger

On 9/5/2012 4:48 AM, Tegger wrote:

Well, what convinced me that their diagnosis about worn clutch packs was right was that though they found the solenoid screens clean, the ATF was not only pretty dirty but had a burn smell. Then it came to me that lately I also smelled some strange burn smell in the car and I could not figure out the source. So I tended to think that perhaps it was from a passing car till I noticed it even when I started up the car in my driveway in the morning. It reminded me a bit of overheated plastic. But I am just guessing here.

That's from the clutch discs slipping.
You did pretty well getting 300K out of your automatic! They don't often last that long.
--
Tegger

On 9/6/2012 5:30 AM, Tegger wrote:

Thanks, I needed that. ;-)
OK, the transmission swap job is finished and from what I can tell after half a day of driving around, it feels good again. The gears shift pretty smoothly without any flare-ups between gear shifts. I hope it will stay that way till I finally get rid of it.
On 9/1/2012 6:50 PM, Tegger wrote:

Well, I was able to find a long nose plier with real long handles that makes the accessing of the ATF dipstick much easier, so I was finally able to check the fluid level as per Honda's instructions. I was pleased that it was at the top mark on the stick. So at least that is out of the way.