A/T Maintenance

Page 2 of 2
On 06/23/2012 11:12 AM, cameo wrote:

the point of changing oil before storage is that any accumulated acids [which are usually handled by most oils b.t.w, so this isn't something to get /too/ worried about], don't get to hang out on bearings and other dissimilar metal interfaces and cause erosion or damage.
that's in theory. and with crappy hardware. but i've seen a panzer tank engine that had been 50 years in a polish river bed. the thing was like new inside - i don't believe its oil had been changed before it was "parked".
--
fact check required

On 6/23/2012 12:17 PM, jim beam wrote:

Oh, you meant changing oil *before* storage!? I thought you meant before starting up *after* storage. What a relief!

How the hell were you able to see such a tank engine? Must be quite a story.
On 06/23/2012 02:53 PM, cameo wrote:

the tank's story is impressive, not mine. i just happen to know one of the guys at this place and was there the day they took the heads off:
<http://www.mvtf.org/col_categor.php?vehicle=panzer_1&vehiclename=Panzer%201
if you're in the area, it's one heck of a collection to go see. i believe it's the largest private military vehicle collection in the world. the owner was quite the obsessive, and had the means by which to indulge.
--
fact check required

On 6/23/2012 8:16 PM, jim beam wrote:

Wow! That is something to see indeed. Happens to coincide with my interest, too.
On 06/24/2012 11:05 AM, cameo wrote:

if you're into that kind of thing, it's worth a special trip because there's really nothing else like it. you can't just walk in though - have to apply. if you can gather a group, it's best. if not, they might be able to tack you onto another group, but you have to fit their schedule.
--
fact check required

You'll get a temporary flat-spot on the tires after 3-moths of sitting, but that will work out during the first drive. Automakers and car retailers often have cars sit for months before sale, and they have this happen all the time.
Now that I remember... what is very helpful is to park the car out of the weather. Rain will eventually cause rust on the brake rotors. 3 months of non-use may cause rust to build to the point where you could end up with permanent brake vibration.

Sure will. Just make sure you have your radio's security code!!!

Change the oil BEFORE you park it. You don't need to change it again AFTER you start driving again.
--
Tegger

On 6/23/2012 3:38 PM, Tegger wrote:

That would not be an issue as I would have it garaged.

It does not have a code.

This makes it much simpler for me.
On 06/23/2012 12:40 AM, cameo wrote:

no, cars that get started to be moved about a parking lot and then stopped regularly have re-start problems because the spark plugs foul. and cars that just do short trips don't get their oil hot enough to evaporate start-up condensation.

won't happen. the injectors are sealed.

see above - injection systems aren't open to atmosphere like carbs.
bottom line, 3 months is trivial. as tegger says, change the oil, install a smart* charger, inflate the tires, and walk away. it'll start right up when you get back.
* a "smart" charger is essential. the old fashioned "dumb" ones, i.e. ones that don't modulate current according to charge condition, will fry your battery over time.
--
fact check required

"jim beam" wrote

For a three-month storage, is adding stabilizer to the gasoline recommended or required? I've been adding it to the gasoline used in my lawn equipment, but that storage time is six months.
On 06/23/2012 08:49 AM, Howard Lester wrote:

lawn mowers aren't sealed - modern cars are. if it's open, especially with ethanol in the gas, moisture can get in and the light fractions can get out. that means phase separation, corrosion and gumming. so yes, definitely do it for the mower, but i'd not bother with my car.
--
fact check required

"jim beam" wrote

Thanks. I also have a lawn tractor (riding lawnmower), but I suppose that's not sealed, either.
On 06/23/2012 12:27 PM, Howard Lester wrote:

it's only the fuel injected stuff that is afaik. and even then, only really federally complaint vehicles because of rules about evaporative emissions, etc. that's where the charcoal canisters come in.
--
fact check required

These days it's a good idea, what with all the ethanol in the gas.
Get some Sta-Bil, and add it just before doing the final tank-fill before parking the car.
--
Tegger

On 6/23/2012 3:40 PM, Tegger wrote:

Here I still can find stations that carry ethanol-free gas. I wonder if that would negate the need for Sta-Bil.
On 06/23/2012 06:47 PM, cameo wrote:

for just 3 months with a sealed system? i wouldn't bother even if you /did/ have ethanol.
--
fact check required

Unless you fill up /totally-empty/ with non-ethanol gas, Sta-Bil is still a good idea.
Oh, and one more thing: Leave the parking brake OFF. Leaving it ON for 3- months may make the shoes stick to the drums, and you'll have some trouble getting them unstuck again.
--
Tegger

On 6/24/2012 5:35 AM, Tegger wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.