A/T Maintenance

no, cars that get started to be moved about a parking lot and then stopped regularly have re-start problems because the spark plugs foul. and cars that just do short trips don't get their oil hot enough to evaporate start-up condensation.

won't happen. the injectors are sealed.

see above - injection systems aren't open to atmosphere like carbs.

bottom line, 3 months is trivial. as tegger says, change the oil, install a smart* charger, inflate the tires, and walk away. it'll start right up when you get back.

  • a "smart" charger is essential. the old fashioned "dumb" ones, i.e. ones that don't modulate current according to charge condition, will fry your battery over time.
Reply to
jim beam

"jim beam" wrote

For a three-month storage, is adding stabilizer to the gasoline recommended or required? I've been adding it to the gasoline used in my lawn equipment, but that storage time is six months.

Reply to
Howard Lester

Thanks, for the clarification. Makes sense.

I seem to remember from an old article that recommended to keep the car on some blocks so its weight is not on the tires to avoid permanent deformation in their prophile. Is this now also an old wife's tale if the tires are inflated properly?

I suppose in case of a '94 Accord a simple battery disconnect will also be OK.

The fresh oil at recommissioning of the car might be a problem if I first have to drive it to a shop to change the oil though.

Reply to
cameo

Thanks for the reassuring words.

Reply to
cameo

lawn mowers aren't sealed - modern cars are. if it's open, especially with ethanol in the gas, moisture can get in and the light fractions can get out. that means phase separation, corrosion and gumming. so yes, definitely do it for the mower, but i'd not bother with my car.

Reply to
jim beam

the point of changing oil before storage is that any accumulated acids [which are usually handled by most oils b.t.w, so this isn't something to get /too/ worried about], don't get to hang out on bearings and other dissimilar metal interfaces and cause erosion or damage.

that's in theory. and with crappy hardware. but i've seen a panzer tank engine that had been 50 years in a polish river bed. the thing was like new inside - i don't believe its oil had been changed before it was "parked".

Reply to
jim beam

"jim beam" wrote

Thanks. I also have a lawn tractor (riding lawnmower), but I suppose that's not sealed, either.

Reply to
Howard Lester

it's only the fuel injected stuff that is afaik. and even then, only really federally complaint vehicles because of rules about evaporative emissions, etc. that's where the charcoal canisters come in.

Reply to
jim beam

Oh, you meant changing oil *before* storage!? I thought you meant before starting up *after* storage. What a relief!

How the hell were you able to see such a tank engine? Must be quite a story.

Reply to
cameo

cameo wrote in news:js50qv$e1a$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

You'll get a temporary flat-spot on the tires after 3-moths of sitting, but that will work out during the first drive. Automakers and car retailers often have cars sit for months before sale, and they have this happen all the time.

Now that I remember... what is very helpful is to park the car out of the weather. Rain will eventually cause rust on the brake rotors. 3 months of non-use may cause rust to build to the point where you could end up with permanent brake vibration.

Sure will. Just make sure you have your radio's security code!!!

Change the oil BEFORE you park it. You don't need to change it again AFTER you start driving again.

Reply to
Tegger

"Howard Lester" wrote in news:js4ohu$qos$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

These days it's a good idea, what with all the ethanol in the gas.

Get some Sta-Bil, and add it just before doing the final tank-fill before parking the car.

Reply to
Tegger

That would not be an issue as I would have it garaged.

It does not have a code.

This makes it much simpler for me.

Reply to
cameo

Here I still can find stations that carry ethanol-free gas. I wonder if that would negate the need for Sta-Bil.

Reply to
cameo

the tank's story is impressive, not mine. i just happen to know one of the guys at this place and was there the day they took the heads off:

if you're in the area, it's one heck of a collection to go see. i believe it's the largest private military vehicle collection in the world. the owner was quite the obsessive, and had the means by which to indulge.

Reply to
jim beam

for just 3 months with a sealed system? i wouldn't bother even if you /did/ have ethanol.

Reply to
jim beam

cameo wrote in news:js5rer$4gh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Unless you fill up /totally-empty/ with non-ethanol gas, Sta-Bil is still a good idea.

Oh, and one more thing: Leave the parking brake OFF. Leaving it ON for 3- months may make the shoes stick to the drums, and you'll have some trouble getting them unstuck again.

Reply to
Tegger

Wow! That is something to see indeed. Happens to coincide with my interest, too.

Reply to
cameo

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Reply to
cameo

if you're into that kind of thing, it's worth a special trip because there's really nothing else like it. you can't just walk in though - have to apply. if you can gather a group, it's best. if not, they might be able to tack you onto another group, but you have to fit their schedule.

Reply to
jim beam