ABS sensors, why?

The ABS light went on in our 97 Odyssey. The fault code said "rear left sensor", and by doggy- the ohmeter show it to be open.
Now let's think about this sensor. It's a little coil of wire, maybe
200 turns of like #38 wire, on a little iron core. Then potted in epoxy and a short wire attached to it.
Nothing very high-tech there. Coils of wire have been made for over 100 years.
I call the dealer and ask for the part-- not only don't they have one in stock, the price is, now hold on, $188 !!!
Even after calling around, I can't find it for less than $138.
Can anybody explain why something that could be made in China for maybe $3 is so outrageously high? I've bought whole cars for less than that.
$120 or so at http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Odyssey&catcgry2 97&catcgry3]R+LX+6+SEATS&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=REAR+STABILIZER-REAR+LOWER+ARM
www.slhondaparts.com should have a similar price.
I have used both these online companies before. Good service.

Easy... Dealer markups on cars are very thin. Options and/or parts are the profit centers.

"I've come here to enjoy nature. Don't talk to me

Any chance of this being covered under warranty or recall, as it's safety related? Probably not, but I thought I would suggest it.
-- R Flowers
R Flowers wrote:

recall-warnings.com lists only ignition switch and front lower ball joint as recalls for the '97 Odyssey.

It's the connector...(at least that's what I think after pricing an O2 sensor with and without connector) ;-)
Get one from a junkyard.
(seriously,there's yearly taxes on parts inventories,there's stocking and facilities expenses,then some companies raise prices on parts as the end- use item gets older,trying to tell you to buy a new item.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Ancient_Hacker wrote:

/knowing/ what to fix is worth hundreds of dollars. same principle applies here. if you can make one cheaper, go right ahead. but if you're starting from scratch, to do the job properly, the messing about with testing and materials will cost you many tens of times more than the relatively small sum you're looking at. even messing about in a junk yard trying to find a used one is arguably more expensive, if you price time and effort, than buying new and having it delivered to your door so you can fit it inside 20 minutes. your choice though.

Go to slhondaparts.com and plug in the part number, see what they say.
Ancient_Hacker wrote:

Because it is a low volume custom dealer only part without aftermarket competition. In such cases, the car companies and dealers make a fortune and we get the short end of the stick.
Maybe you can disassemble the old one and repair or rewind it?????
John

Better to get one or two from a junkyard.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Cause its made in Japan!!!