AC clutch problem on a 94 Civic

I got a what looked to be a rebuilt compressor from a salvage, installed it and turned on the ac, looking at it the clutch is not engageing, I knew that my clutch still worked on my ond one so I
connected my old one again and it does not come on. I did forget to disconnect the battery so I checked all the fuses and I dont see any of them blown. The ac light still comes on. Where to go from here I dont know. I am wondering if I could check the clutch hooking it up to the battery and turning the pully to see if it catches or not.
The clutch should engage if you have freon in the system. Otherwise, it will not engage to keep you from burning up the compressor.