AC Engaging

The air conditioning compressor on the wife's 2009 Civic LX coupe is engaging once in a while when no cooling mode or defrost mode is selected. I first noticed this as what I thought was en engine stumble at highway speeds during a 6 hour interstate drive we were regularly making. After starting to pay better attention, I noticed it was happening at irregular intervals all the time. Maybe 2-3 times an hour that I could notice on highway drives. After a while, I started to get the feeling it was the AC compressor.

Finally, while idling near a curb with an outside temperature of 3F, I heard the famliiar click and condensor fan spinning up for about half a second. All this has been taking place in the regular heater mode with the floor vents selected.

Is there some function in the Civic that cycles the compressor once in a while just to keep it lubed up or something? Or do I need to start looking for wiring issues.

Reply to
Flatlander

according to the wiring diagram for a non-CNG, non-Hybrid, 2009 Civic:

the PCM turns on the compressor clutch relay, and the relay turns on the compressor clutch.

I don't see anything in operation theory about the PCM turning on the compressor unless you request it via the control panel selections.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thanks for checking that out. I suppose it could be a self test running every once in a while to make sure the clutch is still there, etc. Seems like something that would only run at power up, though.

Reply to
Flatlander