Accelerator self-accelerating

I have a 1999 Honda Civic EX. Lately I have noticed that, sometimes when accelerating rapidly, I am getting an additional burst of unwanted speed. Once when this happened, I felt the accelerator kind
of pop back and release. A couple of times Ive had to hit the brake to slow down. I took the car to the dealer and they could find no cause for the problem. They did do a throttle cleaning service, but I had it happen again the other morning. Any advice?
Try turning off the master switch for the cruise control, that's about the only other thing I can think of that controls the gas peddle...

Mike

LOL
Funny you should mention that. I was in my local dealership a while ago. There was a work order sittng on the parts counter, and I read it upside down: The owner of an Acura 1.7 EL (Civic-based) had brought the car in, complaining of this exact thing. The mechanic had hand-written on the order "aftermarket floor mats bunched up under gas pedal".
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
"TeGGeR" wrote

This is probably why the stock floor mats of my 04 Accord have two holes in their, uh, rears.. to hook onto hooks coming up from the floor just in front of the seats. That is, there's no way for these floor mats to scoot forward and bunch up under gas pedal: they're held back by solid hooks.
"" wrote:
> [...]
Well, that would not be my problem I dont think. These are the same mats Ive had since I bought the car. I will check anyway though.
"laurita_a" wrote

When I had my '97 Civic I received a "recall" notice from Honda to bring it in to address this very problem with their floor mats. They had a fix for adhering the mats permanently. I opted against having that done, as *my* mats were not scooting forward from heel pressure.