accelerator sticking at full throttle.

My son is in Iowa and recently started his Honda in sub-zero weather. After putting it in gear the accelerator fell to the floor. Quick action avoided an accident. Any ideas about what caused this?
Can the extreme weather affect the accelerator mechanism? What can be done to solve. I have explained the importance of letting a car warm-up when it’s -5. Thanks
βœ–
westy wrote:

================================= His throttle cable might have too much slack in it, causing it to slip off the guide. Throttle body may need to be cleaned or oil needs changed due to too much moisture.
Not supposed to warm up a Honda. Just drive it gently for first three miles.
'Curly'
Add pictures here
βœ–
westy wrote:

the only way it can stick at full throttle is if he gunned it to full throttle. and on a cold motor, that's really not a smart thing to do. he should drive gently until warm, NOT idle until warm. and NEVER gun it while cold.
regarding remedy, it's either moisture in the cable liner or frayed cable getting stuck. either way, inspect closely, clean and consider replacement.
Add pictures here
βœ–

"Fell to the floor"? This implies it dropped without driver intervention.
Did the throttle work fine thereafter?
If the throttle is now fine, frankly, I find this event description impossible to believe. The throttle plate has a VERY strong spring holding it shut. This spring is permanently attached to the throttle plate spindle, entirely independent of the throttle cable. Even if the cable fell off, the plate would remain closed.
I wonder if your boy isn't trying to cover something up.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
βœ–

I'm with TeGGeR - it is mighty unlikely in a car with a conventional throttle. The newer drive-by-wire throttles are capable of that in the event of Throttle Positioning Sensor (TPS) failure, but the pedal does not move in that event. What year and model Honda is it?
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–