Accord 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl

Well, calm down a bit. No need to overreact. Your statements "I am merely going by what they said" and "take it up with the others" tell the story. I absolve you of any responsibility for what was in your post. Feel better now? But to answer your questions (But don't these tests attempt to accelerate the car from 0 mph to 60 mph as fast as possible? Does your average driver always try to accelerate this quickly?), yes those tests measure maximum acceleration from a standing start and they are also good indicators of acceleration ability at less than maximum acceleration conditions. In addition, some tests (Consumer Reports for one) also test for acceleration at highway speeds--from

45mph to 65mph for example. The average driver doesn't c> "Kenneth J. Harris" wrote
Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

"Kenneth J. Harris" wrote

You wish I had overreacted instead of constructively put you in your deserved place...

Reply to
Elle

"Vikings Fan" wrote

Neither am I!!! (on the Giants!) :-)

Enjoy your car. See, it never occurred to me to downshift an automatic in traffic, but a fellow on rec.autos.honda suggested it to me, and I'm grateful for it. You'd THINK a good automatic would take care of those little things, and it doesn't. We still have to think.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Lester

awhile back a guy was looking into buying a honda accord and wanted to know which one to buy and i kept replying telling him the 4 cylinder was the way to go and everybody in the group was saying get the 6 then after he bought the car i put up one final post saying you'll wish you would've got the 4 and low and behold i was right. for about the same price of a v6 accord you can buy a 4cylinder ex model which is top of the line. i would definitely get the 4 cylinder it will have a high resale value whether it's an automatic or manual and with the newer type of vtech engine it has plenty of power.

Reply to
hondaman

I admit that I was more than satisfied with the 125 hp of my 1993 Civic EX, but that car only weighed about 2400 lbs and it had a manual transmission. For an automatic-transmission Accord at 3200 lbs, I expect 120 hp would definitely seem inadequate in some normal driving situations, such as passing on two-lane roads. 160 might suffice - though I'd still much rather have the manual transmission, which I've found makes a considerable difference for Hondas. (The Civic EX, for example, would do 80 mph in third gear, which really came in handy for passing. I passed five cars in one go on a rural highway in Ohio once.)

Hmm... According to Edmunds, my 1990 Accord LX also has 125 hp, at about 2900 lbs. It's quite peppy, but again that's with the manual transmission.

All that said, I'm not sure I'd want to judge what qualifies as "ordinary" driving, or an unusual fondness for acceleration.

Reply to
Michael Wojcik

If you are carrying a full load up steep roads over 5000 feet altitude, you love your air-conditioner, and you're in a hurry, go for the six.

If at least half your driving is downhill, I'd go for the four.

:)

The four is an amazing piece of engineering, the six is pretty good for its kind.

J.

Reply to
JXStern