Accord AC

I have a 92 accord LX. The AC seems to work when it wants, which isn't often. I had it pressure checked and they added about a pond of Freon to it. Even while they were charging it, it would kick on for a while and then back off. Any ideas?

Thanks Brian

Reply to
Shredder

-----------------

Your description isn't telling us much. Was it totally dead before they recharged it? Honda AC will click off for a few seconds to prevent icing, and if the pressure is too low _or_ too high. Any things you find that makes it work / not work for you?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

I thought it was totally dead when I charged it. When I tried it last year, I thought it must have a leak so I never used it until needing it bad this year because it is hotter than it was last summer. I got the car about 3 years ago. Then the AC worked but hasn't now for about a year and a half. Sometimes when I first start it up in the morning and turn it on it won't come on until I am half way to work, sometimes won't come on at all. I have not noticed any pattern on when it will work. One thing I have noticed (related or not), I replaced the radiator, thermostat and temp. switch this spring and since then the fan will run immediately after shutting the car off and run for up to 10 minutes. I have been told this is normal for this year of Honda. When the AC is on and I shut the car off, the radiator fan sometimes will take a few minutes to come on.

Brian

Reply to
Shredder

Compressor cycling is normal... and necessary... to avoid the evaporator from freezing.

Professor Check out the auctions at

Professor

True, but the "rest of the story" is that it should not repeatedly cycle on and off every few seconds. If it does then something is wrong. Likely cause is you're low on refrigerant (freon). If you're low on refrigerant, then you have a leak which needs to be repaired.

Reply to
Bubba

I really do not think it is normal cycling. If it was normal, it would at least come on when first turned off and run for a while before cycling off. It usually doesn't come on when first turned on. Seems more like a bad switch or something. Could that be?

Reply to
Shredder

I said:

"if the pressure is too low _or_ too high." I was suggesting they may have overcharged it, so it will cut out when it starts running. That's why I asked if it was EMPTY before they refilled it. It could be either problem . . . .

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Reply to