Accord bites the dust

Page 1 of 3  
Well, my 14 year old Honda Accord with 195,000 miles suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure, due to the right front wheel colliding with a concrete highway barrier. This caused upper and lower
control arm damage, axle damage, and other damaged bits. The estimate for repair was 3300 USD. As the car is only worth 1900 USD, it's toast. Yes, I could fix it my self, but I am too old and stiff to much enjoy that anymore.
Consequently. we are in the market for a newish 2004 - 2006 Accord with roughly equivalent trim (EX). I am leaning toward the 4 cylinder V-Tech engine as the 4 cylinder was more than adequate for the Accord we had and the new ones are not that much bigger.
At the risk of boring everyone, I may share some of our shopping experiences with the group. One immediate difference I noticed from 13 years ago is that there is a wealth of information available on the Internet. How much of that information is reliable is yet to be determined.
Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Get an 02 EX. That's the last year of that generation, and that was a fantastic car.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 13:15:21 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Thanks. I will investigate that possibility.
Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just be aware that fours of that vintage still had a timing belt and the one you get may soon be due for a belt change.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ed wrote:

remember the pita that loose chains can be - perhaps that's why they're suddenly back in fashion - the old farts are retiring from development teams.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
.

not trying to start an argument... i think the actual car make and model is what determines whether the chain is more of a PITA than the belt or vice-versa. :~)>
i am pretty sure the chains are coming back in fashion is because of their increased longevity. this is only a guess on my part, of course. i do know the chain in my honda is loud, but it sounds cool!
bob z.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bob zee wrote:

for valve timing. besides, you only need to change a belt every 100,000 miles!!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

when chains had a shorter service life than belts do today. My Prius has a chain and there is no recommended service interval for the chain; in the Prius forums I frequent there are several people who have passed the 200K mile mark and I have yet to hear of chain problems. In contrast, the '84 Dodge 600 I had with a Mitsubishi engine was not worth repairing when the timing and balance chains needed to be replaced around 100K. One of them was chewing on the chain cover. First step: remove engine to allow access to the timing chain cover.
Mike
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bob zee wrote:

I agree that it does depend on the manufacturer. Toyota 4-bangers have had chains for about 10 years now, and I am not aware of any problems with those. On the other hand, I've heard of some 1st-gen Ford Escorts whose timing belts broke well within the specified interval.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
High Tech Misfit wrote:

I'll third that one... my dad bought an '81 Dodge pickup brand new, with a chain-timed Slant 6 (incredible, indestructible engine)... retired it in '87 wth 450,000+km. Timing chain was so stretched it was constantly rubbing on the inside of its cover, but it just kept on going, never a problem with it.
My '80 GLC had a chain as well... its eventual death by chain slippage was my own stupid fault for not tensioning it properly after a head-gasket change.
Conversely, my three '87 Accords have never had timing belt problems... put well over 300,000km on my first one with only changing the belt once, and even that was only because I had to change the water pump anyway.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Elliot Richmond wrote:

I have an '02 4cyl and, while a great trouble free car, it's a dog in terms of power...
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I had an 00 Accord 4 cylinder, and it was a fantastic car with PLENTY of power.
'Course, I outfitted mine properly: with a manual transmission.
In addition, that baby got 35mpg in the dead of summer on a road trip, AC on full blast, going through the mountains.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Nothing wrong - mine is a 5 speed.
You're 35mpg is horse shit, though.
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

How so? I get almost 30mpg out of an '01 V6 with automatic.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Seth wrote:

How so? Because I don't believe his story, that's how so. Just because you *almost* get 30 mpg (what's *almost* 30mpg? 25? 29? 22? What?) doesn't mean jack in relation to someone else getting X+ mpg with their car.
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Consistently in the mid 29's is almost 30. Sometimes 29.2, sometimes 29.8. That's with a V6 with an auto. It's entirely believable to get 35 with an i4 manual.
Yes, it does mean jack when comparing the 2 cause almost 30 on the car that is known to consistently get worse mileage means better mileage is to be expected form the other one.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sure it does. If an 01 V6 automatic trans car gets 30, it's well within his realm of believability that a 4 cylinder manual trans car gets 35 in the same circumstances.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

"realm of believability" ?? You serious? Either it *does* or it *doesn't*. Believability has nothing to do with it. But FWIW, I don't believe it.
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

He doesn't know, but he can surmise from his experience that I'm not lying.
You, on the other hand, seem to insist that I'm lying. So either you have your own experiences that so indicate, or else you're just an asshole in general.
Which would it be?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Until you prove it - I don't believe you - and since you can't prove it here...
"I'm the King of Siam!" I can say anything I want in a newsgroup without having to prove anything. Are you saying it just has to be in the "realm of believability" for us to take it as fact? I don't buy it. Deal with it. It's not in *my* realm of believability.
- Here's how it is - you state what you say is fact.
- I say you're full of shit.
End of story - You may, or may not, be full of shit, but what does that matter?
a
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.