Accord bites the dust

Well, my 14 year old Honda Accord with 195,000 miles suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure, due to the right front wheel colliding with a concrete highway barrier. This caused upper and lower control arm damage, axle damage, and other damaged bits. The estimate for repair was 3300 USD. As the car is only worth 1900 USD, it's toast. Yes, I could fix it my self, but I am too old and stiff to much enjoy that anymore.

Consequently. we are in the market for a newish 2004 - 2006 Accord with roughly equivalent trim (EX). I am leaning toward the 4 cylinder V-Tech engine as the 4 cylinder was more than adequate for the Accord we had and the new ones are not that much bigger.

At the risk of boring everyone, I may share some of our shopping experiences with the group. One immediate difference I noticed from 13 years ago is that there is a wealth of information available on the Internet. How much of that information is reliable is yet to be determined.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

Get an 02 EX. That's the last year of that generation, and that was a fantastic car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Thanks. I will investigate that possibility.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

I have an '02 4cyl and, while a great trouble free car, it's a dog in terms of power...

I had an 00 Accord 4 cylinder, and it was a fantastic car with PLENTY of power.

'Course, I outfitted mine properly: with a manual transmission.

In addition, that baby got 35mpg in the dead of summer on a road trip, AC on full blast, going through the mountains.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

rubbish. either there's something wrong with it or you don't know how to drive. either way, fix the problem.

Reply to
jim beam

Nothing wrong - mine is a 5 speed.

You're 35mpg is horse shit, though.

How so? I get almost 30mpg out of an '01 V6 with automatic.

Reply to
Seth

Nope. It happened on the way out, so I made sure to measure on the way back.

Damn. What a car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Well, until Ernst & Young can audit your mileage, I'm still calling horse shit. A road trip - through the mountains - AC on full... up hill BOTH ...

"It happened on the way out" - so you knew it happened on the way "out". How? If you only measured it on the way *back* ...?

Get real. I like my Accord, but I'm not delusional.

I believe him. I routinely got 33mpg with a '93 Accord automatic.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

How so? Because I don't believe his story, that's how so. Just because you *almost* get 30 mpg (what's *almost* 30mpg? 25? 29? 22? What?) doesn't mean jack in relation to someone else getting X+ mpg with their car.

Good for you - on road trips through the Swiss f-ing alps with the AC on? No?

Consistently in the mid 29's is almost 30. Sometimes 29.2, sometimes 29.8. That's with a V6 with an auto. It's entirely believable to get 35 with an i4 manual.

Yes, it does mean jack when comparing the 2 cause almost 30 on the car that is known to consistently get worse mileage means better mileage is to be expected form the other one.

Reply to
Seth

Well, I happen to work for EY. Maybe someone can lend me theirs and I'll test the i4/manual for a month on my 75 mile each way commute.

Reply to
Seth

I'll let you drive you mine - I've got an 02 with the F23A1 engine. I've got just under 50,000km on it (30,860mi).

Next time you're near Halifax, NS, Canada (eh!) I'll gladly lend you my car.

Sure it does. If an 01 V6 automatic trans car gets 30, it's well within his realm of believability that a 4 cylinder manual trans car gets 35 in the same circumstances.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It happened. Get over it.

Why does it bother you that this happened?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No, I stopped after the mountains to get gas. I routinely check my mileage every time. I saw 35...and decided that I really should make double sure to check on the way back, to see if that was a fluke or not.

And it happened on the way back, too.

Your mother didn't breast feed you or something.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"realm of believability" ?? You serious? Either it *does* or it *doesn't*. Believability has nothing to do with it. But FWIW, I don't believe it.