Accord bites the dust

Page 2 of 3
a wrote:

Since you're the fool who is disputing our claims, the onus is on you to prove us wrong.

Sorry,it doesn't work that way;the one who made the claim of 35 MPG is the one who needs to show proof. "a" is merely calling him on it. You're asking "a" to prove a negative,that something DIDNT happen.
Now,that 35mpg may be all highway driving.(at 55mph?) Heck,I got 30 mpg with my 94 Integra GSR driving at 80-85 mph from Jax to Orlando,and I'm a leadfoot. But all-city was 24-25mpg.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No, I simply need to offer it as a datum point.
Evaluate the other data points, and see what you get.
Let's see....you're the only one who's disputing it, so...

It's not "data",it's a CLAIM to be data.

Again,you're asking him to prove a negative.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ah, that's right.
However, his CLAIM that he has a datum point that proves otherwise is...somehow stronger than a claim?
<shrug> My datum point is my datum point. If you want to sit and argue about it, you'll be on your own. Probably with your hands down your diaper.

I am posting my data - i have a 2004 accord coupe with the 2.4 liter four and 5-speed manual. I am a moody person and you can see that in my mileage:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pEACaHfs_AxA8KQvztfsMNg
:~)>
bob z. p.s. Elmo, I thought it would be cool to show my proof that this car CAN reach the 35 mpg pinnacle.

Yeah, but don't you know? You just sat down and typed that spreadsheet up out of your imagination! That's no proof! No, only a's assertion that you're lying is proof!
</sarcasm>

No,if a guy goes to the trouble of compiling his data and posting it,I'm not gonna accuse him of making it up. I don't speak for "a",though.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

On the other hand, you *can* prove that you're an asshole.
Not only *can* you, you *did*.
a wrote:

Yet you have not proven your own claim. So why should we believe you?

Having read these postings I would like to say that I had a `92 accord 4 ,auto that gave me NO LESS than 32 mpg on the highway .,,,
This was on cross country trips in the US and Canada, mostly US .
If I remember correctly ? the speed limit in Nevada and/or New mexico was 75 mph, but most everypne did at least 10 mph above that , me as well.
Montana at that time had a prima facie speed limit( which has now been changed to 70mph).
I set the cruise at 110 MPH here and got the same mileage overall.
mred
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 19:53:34 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Heck, last year with a 4cyl auto Accord, I got 37 mpg highway driving doing about 73mph average on a 2 hour plus trip. About a year later doing the same trip I got about 34 mpg with same car (less load in car :( ). Both cases I used cruise control.
And if no one believes me, I don't care. I only point it out because 35 is possible.
a wrote:

Yet you expect everyone here to take your word as gospel that because you claim to have a '02 4 cyl that's a dog, that no one else (and it would definitely appear that you hold the minority view as to adequacy of the 4cyl) can get good mileage? As you, I believe, said: "Get real!"
I can get 29.5 mpg out of my '06 6 cyl EX 4DR on trips where I'm traversing hilly terrain at an average speed between 75-80 so I really don't think it's a stretch that Elmo could get 35 mpg.
Hell, I got 31.5 with a 2001 Park Av with a passenger and luggage.
Somebody else mentioned it - you either have a problem with your car or maybe a problem with the driver.
I have a '92 Honda Accord LX. I just came back from WV to NYC (rt 78 to 81). Before leaving, I filled up the car and zeroed the counter. Driving down (60-90mph, air cranking), around town (different driver). En route back (around Mechanicsburg, for those that know the area), my front left tire blew, and I had to complete the rest of the trip on the doughnut (wretched long drive at 47-55mph)ac, off and on, defogger. Filling up the tank at the NJ side of the Delaware bridge, we pulled out a calculator, and did the math. 30mpg documented!
Not bad at all, but I don't think I could mosey along at that reduced speed for so long a distance just to save a couple mpg.

Nope. It happened on the way out, so I made sure to measure on the way back.
Damn. What a car.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Well, until Ernst & Young can audit your mileage, I'm still calling horse shit. A road trip - through the mountains - AC on full... up hill BOTH ...
"It happened on the way out" - so you knew it happened on the way "out". How? If you only measured it on the way *back* ...?
Get real. I like my Accord, but I'm not delusional.

Well, I happen to work for EY. Maybe someone can lend me theirs and I'll test the i4/manual for a month on my 75 mile each way commute.
Seth wrote:

I'll let you drive you mine - I've got an 02 with the F23A1 engine. I've got just under 50,000km on it (30,860mi).
Next time you're near Halifax, NS, Canada (eh!) I'll gladly lend you my car.

No, I stopped after the mountains to get gas. I routinely check my mileage every time. I saw 35...and decided that I really should make double sure to check on the way back, to see if that was a fluke or not.
And it happened on the way back, too.
Your mother didn't breast feed you or something.
a wrote:

I believe him. I routinely got 33mpg with a '93 Accord automatic.