Accord suspension "Ker plunk!"

Ciao e tutti,

Ref. '93 Accord 2.2 4WS (UK version) 80,000 miles

Both my left & right front suspension are making serious "ker-plunk" when the suspension is de-compressed e.g. when encountering a pot-hole or on the down-side of a speed-hump. This is worse on cold mornings. Driver- side is nosiest.

I have had various suggestions to replace:

1/ Suspension units & (all) bushes 2/ TOP SUSPENSION ARM + BALL JOINT+BUSHES 3/ Front Suspension Link Kit (I don't know what this is) 4/ All of the above

What do we think? Also is any of this DIY? Sounds a bit serious to me.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Chris

It would be extremely difficult to tell exactly without performing a physical inspection first. Has any of the above advice you've received resulted from a physical inspection or are they just knowledgeable hypotheses?

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hi, It's just passed it's MOT without a mention of anything worn. Apparentlyy nothing is visible on a ramp. I am told that dismantling is the next diagnostic stage. I was just hoping it was a common fault at a certain age or mileage. All suspension parts are original as far as we can tell.

Thanks for your input.

Pip pip

Reply to
Chris

Does your car have coil springs? I have silenced ker plunk sounds on my '93 Accord on two occasions by replacing broken coils. They both broke higher up on the coil, and the breaks aren't real noticeable without a close look. Both front springs broke on different occasions. I don't recall the exact mileage, but one was well before 200,000 kms

My two cents or should that be two pence

Reply to
mlpogue

There are many suspension checks that cannot be performed when the suspension is loaded by having the tires on ramps as you have described above. A competent mechanic will use devices such as a large prybar and a large set of ChannelLock pliers to test the various suspension joints and bushings for free play. In addition, it is also quite common to grab the tire and rock it back and forth in a few different orientations designed to reveal looseness in certain parts, e.g. upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearing, and the tie rod. Again, none of these checks can be performed when the suspension is loaded with the tires on ramps. If this was indeed the protocol that was followed during your recent inspection, then I would suggest that the results were inconclusive at best.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Our 1990 Accord has 188k miles, no suspension parts replaced except struts at 67K. I get a steady vibration and a lot of "road feel" in the steering at any speed. Vibration steadies out in the 70s mph range, more predominant at slower speeds. Looking to rebuild front end, replace struts.

Do I replace bushings in upper and lower control arms or replace the entire assemblies?

Also radius rod bushings, replace or ignore?

Best question, what should be replaced and what should be left alone? Yes, I know I'm asking for armchair diagnostics.

Next best question, best internet sources for good CHEAP OEM parts?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam