accord v6 fuel mileage

Page 1 of 2
I am wondering what kind of gas mileage to expect from my 2001 accord v6.I owned it for 8 months or so and decided to see what kind of mileage I was
getting.I did some figuring with city driving and I am getting a "disgusting"15.5 miles per gallon. As far as I have been reading,this seems way too low.Anyone else getting mileage this low in city driving?My tires are up to proper psi,however I have yet to replace the filters and plugs that may boost it up a bit. thanks in advance!

2000 Accord EX V6. City get around 24-25 mpg. Highway, 3500 mile RT trip going about 75-80 mph--got 27-29 mpg, can get higher, over 30, if I slow down. Don't figure your mileage on one fill up. It will be inaccurate. Try calculating over several tankfulls and see if that makes any difference. If not, then you've got a problem. MLD
About 30-32 on the highway is about right for me.
City is around 20.

as a matter of fact,I went to Old Orchard Beach last summer and I got 31miles PG also. I think when it warms up a bit,like it has been doing,my mileage will improve a bit.15 miles per gallon is hard to take. I am doing a highway/city mileage test and so far I am up to 300kms. ...180 of those are highway.I believe I used approx. 2/3rds of a full tank so far.This seems a lot better than the last tank.Although all city driving,I got only 227 kilometers off that last tank full

was
getting
trip
slow
try this site: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_engines.aspx?modelid 00&trimid=-1&src=vip

that brings up a good point.When they test cars for mileage per gallon,they should refer to winter time or summer time.It makes a huge difference,probably as huge as highway and city.

v6.I
was
The EPA tests fuel economy for bureaucratic reasons - they are used for calculating CAFE ratings. Actually, any semblance to the numbers we get are coincidental.
Mike

I've never got any mileage that low. I'm getting between 28 and 30 mpg in town through the winter with my Accord (same year and engine as yours).
Brian
well Brian,I filled it up a week or so ago.Drove around Halifax for that week and filled up again yesterday.It took 44.13 litres and my odometer read 227 kilometers. Did I do the math correctly?

Using your numbers above, I came up with 14.4 mpg. What is the mileage on your car?
125,000 kms.

I've got 128,000 on mine. there shouldn't be that much difference in the two vehicle's fuel consumption. Do you have the service records for the car? I wonder if the previous owner changed the transmission fluid and did all of the other regular maintenance that I have done since I've had my car?
Brian
and by the way...I meant to say tripometer,not odometer :-)

I figured that <g>.
I'm in the Ottawa area. I drive an '01 Acura TL and I get slightly better mileage than you (part of my travel around town is on a highway). Driving around town in cold weather yields bad mileage with a V6 because they seem to take forever to fully warm up (compared to a much smaller I4). Usually I can drive 350 kms with 55 liters of premium fuel in the winter and 450-500 kms in the summer. On a long highway trip at a decent speed (120 kmh) I can drive 600 kms with 58-60 litres (winter or summer doesn't make much difference).

-

Interesting. I normally am able to put about 500 km on the tank of fuel in the winter, and close to 800 on the tank in the summer, using regular fuel. I don't know how that makes you able to say that you achieve better mileage than I do.
Brian
My mistake. I meant to answer the OP.
If you achieve 800 kms in the summer, you certainly don't drive like I do. The best that I achieved was 700 kms and that was on a long trip. I used to drive a 4 cylinder Camry and it wasn't much better on the highway.

-

No problem.

The most I've managed to do is 855 km before the low fuel light lit up.
Brian
I have a 2001 v6 and in the metro NYC are I get about 18 in the city and about 26 on the highway. The city mileage have been lousy from day one. The new accords 4cyl is better you don't give much in performance plus the engine is stronger along with the security of a timing chain.
I started a post a few months about the 2001 v6 mileage...not sure if this is a re:to the same post.I was getting 15.5 miles per gallon in the city,during the winter.Since then that has increased to exactly what you said...18 mpg's.A little better,but would be nice if it were in the 20's of course.I read in the pamphlet that you should get 21mpg.I am referring to the "pretty"large fold out flyer you get at the dealers. On the highway I get close to 31 mpg.