accord v6 vs 4

i want to buy an 07 accord.

i have a 99 v6 camry that requires extreme effort to change rear 3 plugs and $ 1000 + by others to change timing belt.

i hear 4cyl accord has steel chain that does not need replacing at scheduled interval.

how hard is it to change v6 accord rear plugs ?

thank you

Easy. It took me all of thirty minutes from the time I picked up the tools and went outside to the time I came back inside, after the work was completed.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Plugs easy.

Still $600+ to change timing belt and water pump. My son as the 4-cyl and it is very peppy. I still prefer my V6 though.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

I just bought an 07 Accord 4 cylinder. It has plenty of power for most purposes. I was going to buy the 6 but they encouraged me to test drive the

Reply to
Don R

more importantly, how hard is the v6 on tires, gas, maintenance, wallet, brakes, etc.?

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

v6 is coupled to an automatic in most configurations, how hard could it possibly be on tires? It weighs more than i4 naturally, the front end is heavier so it will wear the fronts marginally more than i4. People rarely run decent tires on accords anyway, so it's no big loss. why do you even care? If you want one and can afford to run it why not? Judging from your question you might not, therefore to be on the safe side and allow for the possibility of the $4-5 gas why won't you do yourself a favor and buy an i4 with a stick?

Reply to
isquat

~240hp vs. ~166hp - applied to which tires? yep, the front ones. the same tires doing the stopping and turning.

i love my 4-cyl 5-speed accord. :~)>

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

And I LOVE my V6. So we are both happy :-)

BTW, I'm getting 29 Mpg on the V6. Can't complain! I think the auto trans shifts so much smoother on the V6 compared to the 4, but if you are "Sticking" it, doesn't matter.

One of my sons has the LX4-Cyl 5-Spd (2005) and my other son has the EXV6

5-Spd (2006). I have my old '96 LX 4-Cyl beater and a 2006 EX-V6 NAV. The wife has an '05 Pilot.

We are a Honda family for sure.

G-Man

do yourself a favor and buy an i4

Reply to
G-Man

Wow.

I have a 94 Lexus ES300 and I get 27-28mpg on the freeway. Are you getting 29 on the freeway or in town?

If that's all you're getting on the freeway, try this: do two or three full tanks of Shell V-Power, then start using Shell 87 octane fuel. See what your mileage becomes.

Yeah, Shell gas overall is more expensive to buy than the grocery store gas. But it turned out to be CHEAPER TO RUN than the grocery store gas, because I got more miles out of each and every gallon.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It's mixed driving. Probably 50/50. Even my commute has a Mtn. I have to cross.

I'll give the Comparison with those fuels a try. Right now I use Costco 87 Octane. Yeah, it's cheap gas, but it's always fresh! They pump more fuel than anyone in town :-)

I used to use HighTest in my sportbike all the time (GSX-R1000), but it never got any better mileage or performance I could tell. What I did notice is you can hear more knock in it when the temp is 95-100. In those temps, I go the higher octane.

BTW, I ran a tank of Nutec race fuel in it once, and on the Dyno, it boosted the Hp +5. But at $90 a 5 Gallon can at the time, it really wasn't worth it :-)

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Neither is built for racing, and in city traffic and freeways under

80mph, you're lucky if you draw even 100hp out of either engine for more than a few seconds in an average day. Well, maybe if you go up a mountain pass on your commute. What wears tires is the extra weight of the six, and whatever stress you get in handling. Or carrying bags of cement in the trunk.

And that's where I think the four is better, the Accord frame is better balanced with the lighter engine so there's less weight, less direct stress, and less understeering stress with the four.

Though who cares, again, in normal use the six will probably get 60k or more on OEM tires anyway. But just maybe, the four is a little nicer to drive in some situations. In others, sure, getting another

80hp for a few seconds is more fun!

Me too, it's a work of technological art.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Oh, man, I couldn't agree more. A manual transmission, 4 cylinder Honda is an absolute jewel of engineering. It won't die, you can't break it, it just runs forever.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The thing with the Shell V-Power is not the octane level, but the level of fuel system cleaners it has. A couple tanks of V-Power will clean out any of the Costco-sourced gunk you may have. Then it's OK to go back to the specified 87 octane Shell, which has more cleaners than a Costco tank will ever see but not as much as the V-Power. The 87 octane Shell fuel will keep your system clean after it's been cleaned out.

Get your fuel system clean, and run Shell. Give yourself, say, 4-5 tanks total and see what happens. I'm thinking that if I'm getting

27-28mpg with a 94 Lexus with 175K miles on it, a newish Honda V6 should do significantly better. But only with the right fuels (and I don't mean octane rating, which has nothing to do with it).

If you have any questions, see Shell's web site about their Top Tier fuel specification as recommended by Honda and Toyota.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

True when new!!!! A bit down the line when the engines get a bit tired is when you start to see the (big) difference. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Would you like fries with that? Gotta wonder how you will extract those 240 hp with a slushbox. Besides, the only speed where you can overpower the wheels is the first one and you need a rowing implement for that to apply whatever TORQUE the engine can muster to the LSDless frontend. 240hp sheesh. I'm not disputing that V6 is pulling harder and the car accelerates faster, but for shaving rubber quickly wheelspeen helps (as does ABSlessness of brakes. Not an option on Accord anyway).

Reply to
isquat

who is taking my car out of my garage at night everytime 60,000 miles shows up on the odometer and wears out the tires? I need to get an alarm on there and hopefully catch the little rascal.

now i know why my tires are wearing out. i knew it couldn't be from spinning or locking them up.

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

Holy cow! You get 60k miles out of your tires? What kind of crap do Accords come outfitted with? I could not get

30k out of crapenza 92 and these tires suck big time. I dire not to think how 60k tires perform.
Reply to
isquat

A lot of cars, foreign and domestic, come with cheap OEM tires (various brands) that don't last as long as higher end tires.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

i don't get that mileage out of my tires, but tire wear is not strictly a function of the speed differential between the pavement and the tire. my previous posts were lame attempts, on my part, to prove that the v6 accord /will/ wear out tires faster than a 4-cyl accord.

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

I got 100,000 out of a set of Bridgestones on an '80 Corolla. Needless to say, I even called Bridgestone to get another set, and of course they were discontinued! ("we need to sell tires!" the Factory Rep told me!)

Reply to
Hachiroku