Accord vs. Camry ?

Page 1 of 2
On Saturday my wife and I both drove the 4 cylinder automatics and really like both the Honda and Toyota. I couldn't find any significant difference
but my wife liked the looks of one better than the other and she can't recall which one because we also drove the Mitsubishi Galant, Hyundai Sonota, Toyota Matrix, and a PT Cruiser. The PT & Matrix is off our list and it's between Honda and Toyota because the other 2 Asian cars depreciate faster. Apart from emotions with prices, performace and features essentially the same what are factual reasons for selecting one over the other. tnx Hank
Hank, I have an 04 Accord EX-L 2.4 5 speed auto , my son has an 04 Camry SE 2.4 4speed auto I have driven his car and will say if you want cushy and smooth, the Camry is for you. If you like a little more spirited handling choose the Accord. From a standing start the Accord will lead the Camry. On a recent trip to California from AZ. both cars with 2 passengers traveling together The Accord got 33 mpg the Camry 31 mpg. My son has driven my Accord also and says he likes my dash layout better. The odometer is nearly impossible to read in the Camry in Bright sunlight. So it looks like its about 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I still prefer Accord and he a Camry. Scott
P.S. Both cars have been trouble free in their first year and a half
the camry 4 cyl has a low hanging tailpipe that looks bad, look from behind and you will see. I have a honda and toyota but like the honda more
dog wrote:

honda. If you want an ugly ass looking pipe then buy the camry.

If the tail pipe is your main concern, buy a tip for it. If you really feel the need to buy a Toyota {;^)
At the time I was buying a car in 2003, I looked at both. The Toyota distributor and the dealer added things to every car at extra cost that I did not want. There was a paint strip, there was some kind of fabric protectant, ... I could not get a Toyota without these added on items.
So I bought the Accord to avoid the extra cost of the unwanted adulterations imposed by the Toyota distributor and dealer. That was over 50K miles ago. The Accord has been perfect. I have not had to return to the dealer for anything. The only maintaining has been oil changes. Normal highway gas consumption is 38 MPG, but I can get 50 MPG if I turn off the air conditioning and drive at a steady 50 MPH on level roads.
--- James D. Howard Austin TX USA snipped-for-privacy@helps.com

but I don't have to look at it!
Mike

How much time do you spend looking at the back of your car? I figure that's the problem of the guy behind me in traffic.

Hank, Both are excellent cars. It's really up to you. If you really like them both of them the same--let your wife make the final decision.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We just got a Camry Why? The Camry (used) was a bit cheaper. The t-belted Camry is a noninterference engine, safe if the belt were to break, however, the chain driven (VVIT?) Camry has no EGR system, and no belt to change. These were my choices; and as others said, both fine cars.

yeah but the Honda has more durability. they've done away with the timing belt in ivtech engine. and just because toyota doesn't say you need a service within 110,000 miles doesn't mean it won't need any service. chances are it will need service before that amount of miles. toyotas aren't built the same as honda. hondas have excellent engines and the whole car is put together well. i'm sure in the long run you'll be alot happier with the accord and you can buy one with the same features.
-jeff

No, not at all. Your chances of getting the same reliability out of either marque are equal.

(ahem) He said it was HONDA that made that claim, and that TOYOTA was silent on the issue.
Read up before you make a total ass of yourself--again.
dude buy what u want. toyotas are not as good as honda but if you want to boast about buying a toyota find a toyota group don't come in here trying to put people down this is a honda group. buy the toyota i hope you have to take it in for service everyday.
-jeff

Because this is a Honda group people have to put down Toyota? Both cars can't be reliable?
What a tool...

Ah, the old Ford vs. Chevy redneck mentality manages to creep in everywhere.
"Dude", you're an ass.
I don't know how they get totally away with the EGR, it has to do with being able to change the valve timing when it's needed. The belted 4-cylinder Toyota (2.2) is gone for now, we have the 2.4 chain drive. (supposedly good for 250,000 miles) Also note with the Toyota VS Accord. Almost everything on a 4-cyl Toyota a do-it yourselfer can do. The alternator is in plain site, the starter on top. Very user friendly. On Honda's you may never know where they stuff an alternator. Now for those who have to pay for the work, the labor rates are determined by how hard a job is to do. therefore, the job would be cheaper. Also, many Honda parts cost more.
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician
I'll probaly do the regular wear and tear work myself, like changing oil, filters, brakes, etc. After that there shouldn't be much. On the no EGR the Camry mechanic told me its a closed system that has been around for a while. I'm still thinking about getting the 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty if I can get them down to $1000.00. Hank