Accord vs. Camry ?

On Saturday my wife and I both drove the 4 cylinder automatics and really like both the Honda and Toyota. I couldn't find any significant difference but my wife liked the looks of one better than the other and she can't recall which one because we also drove the Mitsubishi Galant, Hyundai Sonota, Toyota Matrix, and a PT Cruiser. The PT & Matrix is off our list and it's between Honda and Toyota because the other 2 Asian cars depreciate faster. Apart from emotions with prices, performace and features essentially the same what are factual reasons for selecting one over the other. tnx Hank

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Hank, I have an 04 Accord EX-L 2.4 5 speed auto , my son has an 04 Camry SE

2.4 4speed auto I have driven his car and will say if you want cushy and smooth, the Camry is for you. If you like a little more spirited handling choose the Accord. From a standing start the Accord will lead the Camry. On a recent trip to California from AZ. both cars with 2 passengers traveling together The Accord got 33 mpg the Camry 31 mpg. My son has driven my Accord also and says he likes my dash layout better. The odometer is nearly impossible to read in the Camry in Bright sunlight. So it looks like its about 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I still prefer Accord and he a Camry. Scott

P.S. Both cars have been trouble free in their first year and a half

Reply to
zonie

the camry 4 cyl has a low hanging tailpipe that looks bad, look from behind and you will see. I have a honda and toyota but like the honda more

Reply to
dog

it's not low hanging. get under & measure it. optical illusion.

Reply to
jim beam

it does not look good in any case, the v6 does not look low,neither does the honda. If you want an ugly ass looking pipe then buy the camry.

Reply to
dog

Hank, Both are excellent cars. It's really up to you. If you really like them both of them the same--let your wife make the final decision.

Reply to
Jason

If the tail pipe is your main concern, buy a tip for it. If you really feel the need to buy a Toyota {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

I feel about tail pipes the way I feel about my face: it may not be pretty, but I don't have to look at it!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

How much time do you spend looking at the back of your car? I figure that's the problem of the guy behind me in traffic.

Reply to
Seth

We just got a Camry Why? The Camry (used) was a bit cheaper. The t-belted Camry is a noninterference engine, safe if the belt were to break, however, the chain driven (VVIT?) Camry has no EGR system, and no belt to change. These were my choices; and as others said, both fine cars.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

yeah but the Honda has more durability. they've done away with the timing belt in ivtech engine. and just because toyota doesn't say you need a service within 110,000 miles doesn't mean it won't need any service. chances are it will need service before that amount of miles. toyotas aren't built the same as honda. hondas have excellent engines and the whole car is put together well. i'm sure in the long run you'll be alot happier with the accord and you can buy one with the same features.

Reply to
hondaman

Both are fine cars and either one will go a long way.

You might want to check out the local dealer service departments to make this decision. I was fed up by a local Toyota dealer services to make a switch. However, I have heard bad story the other way around from my friends. Do not let the price and features fool you. Both cars are great if you have a good local dealer who can serve you.

Reply to
Guy

No, not at all. Your chances of getting the same reliability out of either marque are equal.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

(ahem) He said it was HONDA that made that claim, and that TOYOTA was silent on the issue.

Read up before you make a total ass of yourself--again.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

dude buy what u want. toyotas are not as good as honda but if you want to boast about buying a toyota find a toyota group don't come in here trying to put people down this is a honda group. buy the toyota i hope you have to take it in for service everyday.

Reply to
hondaman

Because this is a Honda group people have to put down Toyota? Both cars can't be reliable?

What a tool...

Reply to
Seth

I don't know how they get totally away with the EGR, it has to do with being able to change the valve timing when it's needed. The belted 4-cylinder Toyota (2.2) is gone for now, we have the 2.4 chain drive. (supposedly good for 250,000 miles) Also note with the Toyota VS Accord. Almost everything on a 4-cyl Toyota a do-it yourselfer can do. The alternator is in plain site, the starter on top. Very user friendly. On Honda's you may never know where they stuff an alternator. Now for those who have to pay for the work, the labor rates are determined by how hard a job is to do. therefore, the job would be cheaper. Also, many Honda parts cost more.

Reply to
Steve

Ah, the old Ford vs. Chevy redneck mentality manages to creep in everywhere.

"Dude", you're an ass.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Reply to