Accord Vs Civic

Depending on need, the Accords can fit 4-5 adults comfortably, which is what I needed.....

Reply to
L Alpert

I just re-upped my policy for my three Hondas (2004 EXL 4 Door Accord, 2001 EXL 2 door Accord and a 2002 EX Civic).

In looking this over, the Civic is about 60-70% for the same coverage as either Accord.

Reply to
L Alpert

It must vary by company and area, then. In my area, with AAA, the Accord DX is the cheapest car to insure, period - regardless of manufacturer. The LX and EX are higher, and the Civics are higher than either of those, then the Civic Si is the worst at about 3x as much as the Accord DX..

-Sonarrat.

Reply to
sonarrat

Reply to
Scott

I just noted that they have a "violation point" on the Civic for some reason. Last year, the Civic was about 11% higher. I suspect it is because the other two have front side curtain airbags.

Now, to call the insurance company to see what gives on this violation point!

Reply to
L Alpert

The programmable keys/anti-theft/alarm may make a difference. It will at least keep honest people honest.

Reply to
L Alpert

I think if you look you are apt to find that all auto insurance policies are "experience-rated" to a great extent. The cost of the vehicle bears some relationship to what you pay for insurance, but it's not the only factor.

The rating includes (among other things)

1) the percentage of accident claims involving *that* model 2) the average cost to repair *that* model - example, it might be a cheap car but have an expensive front bumper or radiator 3) the average cost to "replace" it (here's where the value figures into the insurance equation) 4) vehicle theft history of *that* specific model (how often is this model stolen compared to other cars) 5) Average ownership demographics (is it a young person's car?) 6) claim history demographics (do you live in a bad neighborhood?) 6) credit score of the owner (very important) 7) driving record of the principal operator (except on parent's policy) 8) claims history of the policyowner (kids accidents will hurt you here) 9) academic record (good students qualify for 10% discount) etc.
Reply to
Bubba

Nonsense. "There's no such thing as keeping honest people honest." That's a very tired old cliche.

Auto theft is a crime of opportunity, perpetrated by thieves. If the vehicle is parked outside at night or parked in an open-access lot (mall lot or park-n-ride lot, grocery store lot, your doctor's office lot, etc), it's likely to get stolen. Anti-theft devices only thwart the unskilled auto thief. A well-skilled thief knows exactly how to bypass every one of these devices in a matter of seconds and can steal -any car- he wants to steal. All he needs is the chance (opportunity). More bold/brazen car thieves who want a specific car badly enough will even hijack you while you're in the car and stopped at an intersection. When someone sticks a gun in your face, what are you going to do? Can't start it? No problem, legitimate tow truck operators aren't the only ones who have tow trucks.

Devices like "Lo Jack" can very often recover your car or locate it quickly, but usually *not* before damage, often substantial, has been done. If they want the wheels or air bags, consider them gone, Lo Jack or not. Here again, wheel locks only thwart the common thief. The pro will have the tools to have them off in a matter of seconds.

Reply to
Bubba

Considering nothing has changed from last year to this year along these lines, and the actual rates on the other two cars dropped slightly and the Civic went up 50%, I believe there is some erronious information that they are using.

Reply to
L Alpert

It's true nothing is 100%, but the idea is to discourage the vast numbers of

16yr olds who are looking for an easy mark. The pros seem to favor tow trucks, and for those the best defense is to turn your wheels sharply and/or back into the space and set the parking brake (if you are that concerned) to make your car less attractive. Noise-making alarms with motion, proximity and glass-breakage sensors will do a lot for reducing air bag theft. For each model there are things to prevent HID theft. It's all a matter of how much you want to do and pay for protection.

The professionals don't like to take risks, and all those things are risks for the various types of thefts. Amateurs are lazy and would rather go to a car that is easier to steal. Vandals don't care either way and can do extensive damage. Just pay your money and take your choice.

BTW - my son had a carbureted Subaru and he put a concealed kill switch on the electric fuel pump. If a carjacker had confronted him, he could catch the switch on the way out and the bad guy would never have known - the engine will still idle for several seconds. My son would have been away clear by the time the evildoer figured out the car didn't just happen to stall in traffic. I bet there is an equivalent for more modern cars available.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

that sounds right

Reply to
Jarrett Hurd

so a civic 2001 is has more room? wut year and up is better for a accord or civic, atleast

Reply to
Jarrett Hurd