Advice for buying used Accord/Civic, please?

My husband and I are looking for a cheap but reliable 2nd car. We've found the resale value of VWs (our first choice) to be kinda high, so we thought we might check out Hondas. We need to fit 2 adults, 2 dogs, and a baby potentially, so that means 4 doors.

So, first, would the Civic be sufficient (one dog is a greyhound!), or would we need to look only at Accords?

Second: how young of whichever is recommended can we get for around $2000 through private sale, with A/C, manual trans, dual front airbags and 4/5 doors, that will last about a year, year and a half? If it dies after that, it's ok, lol. But it has to be pretty reliable in the meantime. Or is that a pipe dream? We really can't afford more, seriously...

Anything else we should be thinking about/of?

Thanks for any info!

Kristen

Reply to
Kristen

Don't know where you are, but I last year found a nice '93 Accord in Frederick MD for $2500 (single airbag). There were many more on cars.com to look at in that price range. I'd stick to Accord over Civic, just because they are bigger. Really comes down to your preference. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

The fifth generation Civic was made from 1992 to 1995. In most cases, the last one made in a series (eg 1995) is the best of the bunch since any bugs found in prior models in the series were repaired. In other words, by the time the 1995 was made--most all or perhaps ALL of the bugs have been eliminated. If you can find a great deal on a 1995 Civic--buy it. For these same reasons, consider the 1996 Prelude or the 1997 Accord. All of those models were the last in the series. Jason

Reply to
Jason

"Kristen" wrote

I think you will prefer the Accord, comfort-wise. I'm not sure how much more space it affords.

Based on

I'd estimate 1994-1996 are possibilities.

As a baseline, Edmunds states for my area (which is not on either coast) one can expect the following for about $2500:

1995 Accord DX automatic transmission air conditioning 100,000 miles Average condition

Change the mileage to 150k miles, and the average private party price goes down to about $1300.

I wouldn't go over 150k miles. I'd aim for a 100k miles or lower.

I would expect you could get another 100,000 miles out of this car, assuming you maintained it properly.

Try to get a car with a written maintenance history. Preferably, a 1995 Accord with a 100k miles on it will have had its timing belt changed in the last few years. If it hasn't negotiate this into the deal. Figure a $500 credit.

Elle

1991 Civic LX sedan, original owner
Reply to
Elle

We are on our 3 accord. I would highly recommend it. The one I am driving now is a 92 and we got it 2 years ago for $1200 in central Ohio. Needed a few cosmetic things for about $100. Still driving it, looks good, everything works except for AC sometimes. Has 225K miles and I wouldn't hesitate to take it across country.

Reply to
Shredder

Honda resale value is also high, although reliability is typically better than VW.

Bring the whole family (including the dogs and an infant seat) for test fitting.

Wagons may be helpful, but they are not common (Civic wagon until

1991 in the US, Accord wagon until 1997 in the US).

Reliability will be most dependent on previous owner care and maintenance. Be especially careful about checking when the timing belt was last changed -- it is several hundred dollars to change, and failure can cause major engine damage. Also, on older Hondas, do full lock parking lot turns; if you hear grinding or clicking noises, the CV boots have cracked and allowed dirt into the CV joints, requiring repair (the boots typically last about 100,000 miles or so).

You might also want to look at Chevrolet or Geo Prizms or 1980s Chevrolet Novas -- rebadged Toyota Corollas with good reliability and lower resale value from the "Chevrolet" or "Geo" badge.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Update: The 1993 Accord was also the last model in that series of Accords so you should add that one to your list. If possible, get the EX model since it has the most extras. I once owned a 1993 Accord EX and I loved it. It ran great. Jason

Reply to
Jason

Forget Honda. At $2000, you'll probably end up with a headake. Unless the deal is from a personal aquantance and the orginal owner.

An alternative is the 1996's Lumina.

Pars

Reply to
Pars

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pars" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 5:51 PM Subject: Re: Advice for buying used Accord/Civic, please?

I'm not sure why you say that, except that bargain hunting requires savvy and patience. For $2000 you can get a Honda that has been well maintained if you aren't set on getting one a late model one or getting one in a hurry.

There are a number of things to check. The timing belt should have been changed in the last 50K miles or so, leaving some time on the belt. No rust in the cooling system and no varnish in the engine are mandatory, and rare - that 's why the buyer has to be ready to kiss several frogs. The temperature guage must stay in the mid-range while driving with the A/C on, because of the chance of head gasket failure. But intermittent failure to start and stalling are just signs of main relay trouble, a common and cheap failure that can cause people to drop the price $1000 or more, not knowing they can fix it for a tenth that amount.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for the tips! :)

See ya,

Kristen

Reply to
Kristen

Buying used is like gambling. The high resale value on the Honda makes it possible for the crook to pan off a lemon while using the car's inherent reputation to justify the $2000 charge.

Also, GM's Automatic tranny, from a decade ago, has a better reputation then Honda's Automatics from the same generation. When shopping for a $2000 Automatic, the durability of the transmission should be the most important qualifier. It doesn't make sense to spend $1500 on a rebuilt tranny for a car that's worthless.

Pars

Reply to
Pars

I disagree....

Ever notice how FEW complaints in this NG are for a 96 Civic?

Its one of the best cars Honda ever made, reliable, economical and fun to drive.

Reply to
slim

In article , slim

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

strictly speaking, the 88-91 was the first of that platform. the suspension is identical in the rear to both the 92-95 & 96-00. there are minor variations in front suspension between all 3 generations, with the last 2 being the most similar, but the overall suspension config & chassis layout for all 3 is the same.

Reply to
jim beam

Ummm....79 ended the first gen. 80-83 saw the second gen, a beast all to itself. 84-87 was a new platform, but 88-91 was the same platform with refreshed sheetmetal. Then 92-95 was an all-new platform, unrelated to the 84-91 platform. 96-00 (when they changed to a 5 year model changeover, up from 4 years) was the same with fresh sheetmetal.

Come to think of it, the decision to move to a 5 year cycle--made in the middle of the Civic's 96-00 reign--signaled the beginning of the bean counters, and the end of engineering at Honda.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

dude, with respect, i've owned a waggonload of the 88-91's, still own a

00 and have worked on a bunch of the 92-95's. i'm telling you, all 3 gens are the same.

front suspension:

88-91
rear suspension: 88-91
the 84-87 was utterly different: front:
jim beam

hmmmmm.....

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yep, I wouldn't belittle the 88-91. In my opinion, the best looking of the bunch and it shared the same suspension design as my 98 Hatch. That model has been around for 16 years and there's still a lot of them on the road. But mechanically speaking, I think the last iteration of the front double wishbone Civic was the best.

Pars

Reply to
Pars

the 98 looks butt tho... 88-91 is the best! if i could really be bothered, i'd put the 00 ex motor & electronics in my 89. fast & frugal!

Reply to
jim beam

im pretty sure the 96-00 civics were all pretty much carryover technology from the 92-95 models.

Reply to
SoCalMike