advice needed: jammed (possibly frozen) gas tank lid

Hi Group,

This morning when I started my car, the gas light was lit up. So I went to a nearby gas station on my way to work to fill it up. However I was not able to open the gas lid when I pushed the button. At that time I thought it must be frozen for some reason, given that the temperature was about 15 degrees below freezing temperature last night. So I thought I could wait till this afternoon to try it again.

I tried just now. It still does not open. Although I still tend to believe it is frozen, I realized that I basically did not feel any resistance when I pushed the button. I can not recall whether I always feel this way--shame on me, I have been driving this car for two years and probably filled the tank more than 100 times. Anyway, now the remaining gas in the tank will probably last me through the end of tomorrow if I just do my commute. Tomorrow's forecast shows a high temperature of 35 degrees. I do not feel very comfortable waiting for that though. I wonder if you could give me some advice on things I can try. Thank you!

Best Regards, Doug

Reply to
Doug

Allnews

Had the same problem at the gas pump yesterday. Went home, put the car in the garage and a few hours later the door popped open as it always did. MLD

Reply to
MLD

I keep a plastic knife in the glove box for the times it happens to me. Wedge the pull handle with something like a glove, and pop the door open with the edge of the knofe. Here in the snow belt of Ohio, I have done it many times. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob